1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Burnt out Extruder fan

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Domenic, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Domenic

Domenic Member

Hi I am just wondering if anyone has run into the problem of a fan burning out or just breaking. I assume this was the cause of a filament clog that occured. I have already put it a part request, but I was just curious.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They do die occasionally. I have replaced the one on the extruder (although it was an E3D) and the parts fan.
    Even my delta I replaced a fan on... more the fan quality than the printer :)

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Indeed. I run evercool brand fans (3.00 each) and replace one or two every year or so across my printers. Dust, dirt, filament shards, probably heat all weaken them. When they start making noise i replace.

4. Robert55

Robert55 Member

We were just having this discussion in the CR-10 group on Facebook. Noctua or Scythe for your fans. Hands down. My computer has been running both inside for the last 4 years, and it's all warm and fuzzy (dirt) inside, with no noise or failure. I have a Noctua 40x10mm for my E3D V6 hotend on the Robo3D, and a 40x20mm Scythe on the hotend on the CR-10. I put a Noctua in the power supply on the Robo3D, and I check the LEDs to make sure it's on. And I now like velocity stacks for my fan guards...LOL

I had the Scythe 40x20 on the Robo3D with the V6 for awhile, and ran the hotend up to 255c with no problem. Useful for nylon weed wacker string...Shortens your X Axis by about 5mm.

Yes, fans have fans...LOL

Attached Files:

#4 Robert55, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  5. Domenic

Domenic Member

Does anyone know of a good fan on amazon that I could order that fits the printer, I ordered some but they don't fit. Also does the fan on the bottom of the printer have the same fan connector as the extruder or is it a standard one.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Extruder fan is 25 mm square x 10 mm, there just aren't very many good ones in that size, even the more expensive ones are noisy and can burn out. There are a few printable replacement shrouds that can accommodate a larger 30 - 40 mm square fan on the extruder. There are much better fans starting at that size. The other fans in the Robo are all 40 mm square. So without printing or acquiring a new shroud you can't simply swap one of the other fans for the burnt out extruder fan.

Hexagon 30 mm fan holder for R1 and Hexagon Hotend
    E3Dv6 40 mm fan holder for Hotend

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. Domenic

Domenic Member

Those are the exact fans I ordered from amazon. What do you mean by splicing the connectors?
    @mark tomlinson

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

cut the wires off of the one you get and the one you had and splice the one you have onto the new fan :)

Splice:

verb (used with object), spliced, splicing.
    1. to join together or unite (two ropes or parts of a rope) by theinterweaving of strands.
    2. to unite (timbers, spars, or the like) by overlapping and binding theirends.
    3. to unite (film, magnetic tape, or the like) by butting and cementing.

Basically reuse the connector you have if the new fan connector is not the same (and it may not be). Just leave yourself enough wire when you cut the connectors off to splice it onto the new wire.

10. Domenic

Domenic Member

Do you think that there would be a fire hazard doing this?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Um... no. Not if you do a decent splice. It is a 12v wire :)