1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 not extruding properly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gary Boyce, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

If I pre heat the extruder, I can extrude 10 or 100 mm with no problem but when I try to print it stops pushing filament. The extruder is still turning but no filament comes out. I thought maybe I had a clog or that the hobbled gear was full of ground filament but I didn't find either of those problems. any ideas?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Run the Z offset wizard then fine tuning wizard. Sounds like your nozzle is too close to the bed.

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Is the extruder actually at the correct temp (not just reading as such)?

4. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

I had already run the z wizards prior to posting this thread. I have no way to check the actual temperature. However, I did resolve my problem. I decided to do a thorough inspection of the hotend. I found plastic that was as hard as glass. I drilled it out and am back to printing normally. How often should I have to perform this maintenance? I have used the recommended PLA temperature settings.

5. BLKFLD

BLKFLD New Member

I'm having an extrusion problem too.

I have:
    - run cleaning filament through the extruder, it jammed up in the process (happens relatively easy with the cleaning filament at lower temperatures).
    - cleared the jam
    - removed the extruder and replaced the tip with a new .4 and chased all the threads (6mmx1.0) and reassembled.
    - Still does not extrude properly. you can see the stepper try to extrude but can't, has an associated clicking noise.
    - Reset Z offset started a print. Started fine then ended up with a blob and air printing.
    - Will not extrude even in the air, like when loading new filament, same symptom no extrusion and a clicking at the stepper. The filament when removed looks kinked.

There seems to be excessive tension on the spring that holds the roller against the stepper. I will see if the extruder is indeed at the advertised temperature.

Thanks,

Oscar

#5 BLKFLD, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  6. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Check the hobbed bolt set screw. After I got mine printing again mine stopped extrusion again. I found the set screw on the hobbed bolt was loose and the hobbed bolt had moved forward on the stepper motor shaft causing it to jam.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. BLKFLD

BLKFLD New Member

Hello,

It seems as the hotbed bolt is fine.

I did have a chance to get my infrared thermometer and it seems like my extruder is only 45°C but the screen says its at 190°C.

8. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

In that case check the connectors for the thermistor and hotend heater directly above the hotend, on the top of the extruder carriage and on the mainboard. If you are still having the same issue then set an appointment with Robo.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is almost impossible to read the temperature of the extruder accurately with an IR temp gun/probe.

The part that is hot (the nozzle) is tiny and shiny.

Use a contact pyrometer.

Geof likes this.
  10. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

It's very easy once you've printed black PETG and pretty much have a coat of it all over the hotend :D

supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. BLKFLD

BLKFLD New Member

Everything at the extruder looks firmly connected. there are two sets of terminals on the bottom side of the extruder carriage. as viewed from the front they are aligned to the left. I'm guessing the one on the right are for the optional second extruder?

I was really hoping the main board would be behind one of the two access panels in the print chamber.

Good point, the cold temp would be a reasonable reason why the filament stops printing right? any other ideas?

#11 BLKFLD, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The main board is under the bottom and not readily accessible even when you lift the bottom cover panel.

13. BLKFLD

BLKFLD New Member

So you have to disassemble the whole thing? Is there a write up somewhere? I submitted a support request. Im not taking anything apart until I hear from them.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Pictures are worth a thousand words.[​IMG][​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.