1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Click and Snapping Sounds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Echoshard, Jun 30, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I get this a lot. I've mentioned it before.

The Tappet brothers used to suggest—when troubleshooting car noises—that they would take a bit of tubing, place one end to their ear and then direct the other end at something which could cause sound. They'd use this to isolate the location of something making a particular noise.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

most tech people (myself included) use a plastic handled screwdriver ;)

3. bdk127

bdk127 New Member

I have the same issue on my R2. It is coming from the rod that is on the left that goes into the frame above the upper door hinge. Only makes the noise when the moving right to left. I also noticed that the rods on left and right move a bit in the middle when the print head moves left and right. Maybe a slightly bent rod is causing the issue? Prints seem to be OK at this point.

Brian

4. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

I had the same popping/snapping noise. Find which side and front or back it's coming from, then loosen that rod's pulley and slide it slightly away from the black bushing that's on the rod between the pulley and the case, then re-tighten.

supercazzola likes this.
  5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

The plastic bushing on the back 8mm rod if there is any slop from the pulleys not being tight will causes that pop sound. Grab that back 8mm rod and see if you can easily move it side to side.

6. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

Ok so Support told me to replace the barrings and the clicking is still here. Sadly I will keep investigating

7. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Hmm, since my whole upper portion of the printer is neatly apart on my bench. I took the 6mm bearings and by hand I could make them click to almost the exact pitch I hear in your second video.

Have you taken apart your extruder setup yet? I wonder if one of the X aligned bearings is loose, or the plastic is not molded correctly. The 6mm bearings have stops in the plastic, and when I manually slide a bearing into that I get the click.

It is not all that hard to get the extruder apart, if you would like me to take pictures I can mock something up. The first thing you have to do is remove the filament. Loosen the extruder stepper so you can reach the back left bolt, and then the loosen the rest so the bottom of the extruder base will start to rest down. There is enough slack in the wires for you to look around at the X bearings and check all the plastic surrounding them. Just a hunch here.

#27 jwmueller, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are some pictures in the C2 section for extruder disassembly that I did. Should be the same

9. BLKFLD

BLKFLD New Member

Im getting that click at the hotbed bolt, my issue is likely due to a temperature problem (190°C displayed 47°C actual). How did you fix your problem?

10. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

Increase your temp to ~220 C and see if you get the same issue. I think the sensor is lying to me.

11. danjomite

danjomite New Member

I'm having the same issue. Did you just resolve it by setting the Z offset a bit higher? I've been forced to do prints with PLA at about 220+ degrees just to prevent this. Other times it'll work fine for hours and then start to do this near the top of prints.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it were only happening on the first layer then Z offset might be a good thing to suspect. If it happens at any layer above that then the Z offset is not your culprit. I if you were to set all layers to a lower value than 0.2 then again backpressure might be an issue, but that is an easy thing to test.

13. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

danjomite - Mark's advice above is valid. In my case I fixed it via my retraction settings in my slicer program. It was retracting filament way too often.

14. danjomite

danjomite New Member

Disabled retraction and got the following print. Will try cleaning the nozzle next.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#34 danjomite, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  15. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

You don't want to turn off retraction entirely.

My slicer is Simplify3D and the settings are:

Retraction Distance = 1mm

Retraction Speed 30mm/s

Minimum Travel for Retraction = 2mm

The last setting (Minimum Travel) had an effect on the extruder clicking on my R2. Of course you want to use a setting that gives good prints.

danjomite likes this.
  16. danjomite

danjomite New Member

Figured I'd try it because at this point what's the worst that could happen lol. Thanks for the settings, I'll set them for the next print after I try taking apart the hotend and cleaning the nozzle.

I'm also thinking about getting an E3D V6 for it just to see. Is it the universal direct drive that I need? And the install should be fairly straightforward?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes to the first, "maybe" to the second. The slot on the neck of the E3D is larger than the slot on the Hexagon. For the R1+ this meant a new quick-release plate had to be fabbed or the hotend would be loose in the mount. On the R2/C2 side... I am not sure if that is true. The mount on those is not exactly the same so while there will be some slop in that top mount the base may or may not be too loose. I suspect it will still be loose without an added shim or ring around that collar.

18. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Support told me to loosen the set screws on the rods and apply grease at the black bushing and rods, then tighten them back down. I did this and ran a test print and all seemed good (but it was a small print). Today I'm running a larger print and its still clicking like crazy when going left to right. I'm going to try to attach a video of it so everybody can hear it. It's clearly on the left to right axis. Well, apparently it won't let me upload the file. I compressed it into a rar file and it gave me an error. I guess its too big.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Video? Post it on a video site and link to it (vimeo, youtube, etc.)

20. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Good idea. Here it is...

supercazzola likes this.