1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered First layer imperfections!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by grant, Aug 7, 2017.

1. grant

grant New Member

HI guys,

I'm new to 3d printing, I started on a monoprice select mini and just purchased my robo r1 plus refurbed from robo. I've made a couple designs using fusion 360. The problem I'm having is when I go to print and the first layer is always messed up, I'm printing with PLA for now. Any help would be appreciated! I'm using mattercontrol, and the factory settings.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Gee-ont is that you? Are these surface imperfections on the first layer? Or the final layer?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3. grant

grant New Member

Haha it is! Yeah they are the first layer, the final layer is perfect.

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  4. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

See of you can print just the first layer and take a picture while it's on the bed so I can get a better idea of what is happening.

5. grant

grant New Member

I'll have to try and do the print where I know it will show up. I just printed a square to see if it would do it. Of course it didn't though, it did though show the other issue I have with it not filling in the gaps all the way.

Attached Files:

6. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Well it looks like you have some areas that are under extruding and some areas that are over extruding. Check the tension on the filament make sure it isn't too tight. For those corners you can try to change the infill to concentric. What slicer are you using?

7. grant

grant New Member

Here it is, it kind of looks like the nozzle is dragging against the filament. I'm using mattercontrol, I'll check the tension also

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Ok, so your z offset may need to be raised. I would also ditch matter control and go with cura. I never had much luck with matter control

9. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

According to your last post (picture) you have 2 things going on. First your X-Axis is not level, you need to paper level your X-Axis (may need to shim the bed). This may or may not fix the next issue. The next issue is you need to increase your Z-Offset in order to move the nozzle away from the bed. If you have M565 Z-X.XX in your startup code, you would need to increase that number (make more negative).

mark tomlinson and Patrick Ryan like this.
  10. grant

grant New Member

I do have cura, just thought I'd use the mattercontrol since it came with it. I'll use cura on the next print. I'll check the z offset and x axis! I did notice the one time it was definitely not level.

I'll get back with the results

Thanks guys!

Patrick Ryan likes this.