1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS edges lifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Aug 8, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Have the printbed to 100, and extruder to 235. Still getting lifting of the edges, even when have raft.
    Any ideas?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. supercazzola

Should mention all fans are off... this is Robo branded ABS

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sadly this is likely just ABS doing what ABS does without a heated chamber to tightly control the printing environment.
    It is possible it is bad ABS, but not likely. Try hotter and slower printing and make sure there are no fans in the room.

Not that it helps you with that spool, but we never print ABS any longer. There are zero material properties that ABS has which I can't beat with another filament type which can be printed without a heated chamber :) @Geof still uses it on his Zortrax (I think) maybe he has some pointers.

supercazzola likes this.
  4. supercazzola

Can you recommend one type for printing LEGO like pieces for my son? Or something that may stay in car and experience some heat in FL days ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For heat resistance BluPrint is my favorite. You do not have to buy it direct from Taulman, there are other sellers so feel free to shop around. While it does need a heated bed it is not prone to warp and curl like ABS. Strength wise it is slightly better than ABS and heat deflection is superior to ABS.

BluPrint - BluPrint is a specialty polymer developed to specifically handle High Heat Deflection requirements. With a Tg of 110C and a print temp of only 265C, BluPrint is an easy to print polymer that comes as a clear material similar to t-glase.
    Potential uses:
    Lamp covers
    Antique car/item lenses or ligh covers, i.e. tail light, turn sig, etc..
    Any use in high heat environment
    Thermal spacers
    Thermal Clamps
    Any part that will need to be placed in boiling water for preparation.
    BluPrint can sustain boiling water for 5 continuous hours. Clarity will be lost after 2 hours to a dull haze. Structure will be maintained.

P.S. I live in Orlando so I 'get' the heat :)

supercazzola likes this.
  6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

PETG might be worth a shot. Needs a heated bed, but not a heated enclosure. It supposedly has very strong layer adhesion, good tensile strength, and can handle higher temperatures. Haven't given it a try yet, but I think some other folks in the forum have.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If heat deflection were not an issue I would (as always) suggest Alloy910 since it is far stronger than either and prints about as diffilcult as PLA. High heat though needs something else.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not for heat. The glass transition temperature on it is too low.
    It is between 75℃ and 80℃. depending on brand (ABS is 100c and BluPrint is 110c)

Like I said if heat were not an issue there are a LOT of better choices than ABS.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

abs slurry on the bed and a large brim on every part. No raft. If you want to use ABS get a machine that is built for ABS (its my opinion the Robo series is not). I have many machines and only (ONLY) the zortrax machines runs ABS for me.

Agreed with @mark tomlinson on blu print. I also use colorfab HT or XT (but not as high heat). Mechanical properties only (no heat) NGEN is a good choice as is PETG. All of the copolymers (petg, xt, ht, ngen) can stick to well, so use glue stick if you try them.

mark tomlinson and supercazzola like this.
  10. supercazzola

How large is large?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

literally as many as it takes lol. I often do up to 10mm if "trying" to hold down a warpy material. Normally it will end up connecting to another pieces brim.

12. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

I have success with ABS while using a home made hood. Foam board all around, and two hard-plastic sheet windows on front and side.

20170701_140104.jpg

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. supercazzola

I wish I had the skill you do to make me one of those hoods. Looks beautiful, besides functional. I was thinking of finding a big ass box to cover the whole thing with and try to print, but I was concerned about a fire

14. supercazzola

If I could pay you to make me one, I would. But in the meantime, I found something that might just be the perfect solution for me. This was a styrofoam shipping container my mother (who has passed away) had her medicine sent in. Another of her gifts to me even after leaving this earth.

Attached Files: