1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 can't print a 2mm bridge??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gary Boyce, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

What am I missing here? I could print pretty long bridges with my r1+ but I can't even get a 2mm bridge to print on the r2 without supports. I can't find any bridge settings in the robo cura Windows app. Please enlighten me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't say anything about Cura, but independent of the slicer you need good air flow and heat management to bridge correctly. You should be able to bridge several inches with the right setup. Make sure your fans are all running and have the slicer set them to 100% during a bridge move. .

3. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

There is no bridge settings that I can find. That's the issue.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd suggest trying another slicer.
    Any of them can be configured to work with the R2.

5. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

You would think that robo would have considered using a slicer that can handle something as essential as bridging to couple with their printer.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Robo doesn't write the slicers and frankly not sure how intensely they use them -- hardware people is what they are.
    There are a number of free ones and all they do is pick one and make sure it is preconfigured to work with their printers.

That said, Cura 2.x is new and experimental (and written by a different printer manufacturer -- ultimaker).
    From what I hear it mostly works well, but if you are having issues absolutely try another. Either a different version of Cura or one of the others (Repetier host, MatterControl, etc.)

Do I wish they would pick a slicer, stick to it and get it customized for their printer? Heck Yes.

Sorry, can't be more specific, but you can ping the Cura forum and see if someone over there in the Cura community has an idea: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/dashboard

The printers can certainly do it, don't let the software hold you back.

Gary Boyce likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I haven't used any of the free ones in a long time -- someone else can comment perhaps on which is the best of the bunch.

8. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Look to the older versions of Cura before they switched to a new slicing backend, or look at Slic3r which is free (using the stock Prusa MK2 speed settings is actually a good starting point for the R2). You could also play with the ideaMaker 2.6 RC from Raise.

mark tomlinson likes this.