1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

70% failure rate

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by aaronwstone, Aug 14, 2017.

1. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

I'm finding that I may just be too stupid for 3D printing.. lol

So far I've only been successful with the Blue filament that came with the printer and some gold I bought.. ABS, forget about it I haven't even got close to getting a correct print with it. Ive also only had one really good print and that was a spool holder.. Maybe this is just one SUPER STEEP learning curve.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, it is a bit of learning curve, but not too bad with the current printers.
    A word of advice? Put the ABS aside until you get some good PLA prints under your belt.

Let us know (or see) what sort of problems you are having and we can give you some pointers.

3. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

l'll take that advice!!! just spent forever unclogging the thing. ended up having to remove the entire hot end.. about to try a quick and easy test print.

4. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Yep - See no advantage to ABS other than price. Multiple disadvantages.

IMHO - if you're going to spend $1,500 on a printer, use a decent filament :)

Never tried ABS on my R2 and have no plans to do so.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can try seasoning if you continue to experience clogs.
    (that amounts to dipping a strand of filament in decent vegetable oil and then poking it down into the hotend while it is hot.
    Do that a few times and it is like seasoning a frying pan)

6. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

It seems that PLA is really brittle and I need to be able to print GoPro session holders and stuff that go on racing drones.. What do you suggest/like for something that is a little more flexible?

I have had ZERO experience with any 3d printers, and just dove straight into this one..

supercazzola likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here:

http://taulman3d.com/how-to-choose.html

Lots of choices :)

For general purpose strength I like Alloy 910, but for hot environments something like BluPrint or a nylon blend would be better.

ABS is very very middle of the road even for strength.

supercazzola and Ed Ferguson like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ABS is picky because it has a terrible tendency to warp and curl without a heated chamber.
    It also will lift easily (and the bigger the part the more likely that is). You can use directed heat (with like a heat lamp) and that helps, but it is really just a pain to work with in many cases.

9. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

I agree with Mark and would try nylon. I have not tried nylon on my R2 yet - it's on the to-do list.

#9 Ed Ferguson, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

For outdoor objects I'd either print it in PETG or ASA; PETG because it doesn't care about moisture levels and ASA because it is UV-stable and easier to print than ABS with otherwise ABS-like strength properties.

jwmueller and OutsourcedGuru like this.
  11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

TPU like https://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart...u-series-filament-for-3d-printers-reprap.html, Is the best for quadcopter camera mounts.

But since your new i wouldn't try printing that yet (its tricky ). Just use PLA or PETG till you get the hang of it.

Geof likes this.
  12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

ABS is probably on the way out if you read some circles in the 3D printing world. ASA should see some interesting improvements and growth over the next year, but avoid that for now unless you have a jackhammer to remove it from your PEI.

I like PETG on borosilicate beds, and I sell my products all over the world in this material. I heat test them inside a trailer for months, regular temps in the summer are hitting 125Fto150F in the direct sun. It does not warp, love it. PLA even the good heat treated brands all warp under the same test (they normally warp on the first day). The warping is minor. Saying that nothing wrong with good PLA, it prints nicely and you will find many color choices and even the matte version from ProtoPasta is insane (you almost can't tell it was 3D printed).

I agree with Mark and I will add Essentium Materials to the list of amazing filaments.

Ed Ferguson and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PETG would work fine if it is not in a place where it is likely to get too hot (it is good to roughly 80 C) so your case of needing it in an 150F is totally fine for that.

14. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

True on that Mark, I had one customer put a part next to the exhaust on a car and it did get soft. Meanwhile I have had heat treated PLA get soft and deform just sitting out in the Texas sun.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Car exhaust can get way hot (over 600 C) so ... no help on that one :)

Geof and jwmueller like this.