1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fan Specs on the Robo C2?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by 1reshiram12, Aug 12, 2017.

1. 1reshiram12

1reshiram12 New Member

I'm looking to upgrade the 3 fans on my Robo C2 and I am wondering what the voltage and size of included fans are so I know the ones I am upgrading to will work. I was also wondering if there's any minimum cfm that the fans should be.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont have a c2 but the heater core is 19v so id guess they are 24v. Pull them off the machine and you should see a label.

More cfm = better :)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

well 24v would work regardless :)

Geof likes this.
  4. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

To be honest, designers try to go with what's cheap and available and most fans are 12V, fewer are 5V but... 24V? In theory, it would push more air but you want to make sure that you're not plugging a 24V fan into a 12V socket. (I'm not at home or I'd just look inside mine.)

Google: 12V cpu fan = 1.18M hits
    Google: 5V cpu fan = 705K
    Google: 24V cpu fan = 372K

The fan that's between the Raspi and the Robo board sits in a mount so it's just as important to get the correct physical size on that one.

----------

The R1's nozzle fan is rated at 12V/0.1A/1W, for what it's worth. It's a SnowFan Model YY2510H12S. I say this because if Robo had luck with that fan before then they may have just re-used this for the C2/R2 models as well. (This makes it easier later to stock parts, if they're thinking in advance.)

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

They are entirely different voltage system. You'd have to check the label on the fan or the output from the board (like @mark tomlinson stated - pretty sure 24V). There is no possible way to compare the R1 series to the R2 or C2. Completely different systems. Even the hexagon hotends are not interchangable (plug and play ) due to electronics differences. I dont know of any parts that are interchangeable from the R1 to either the R2 or C2, I would not recommend doing so or suggesting so.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

24v systems are just as normal as 12v system in I&C and more specifically in the 3D printer world.
    In fact, I would say that the 24v systems are more popular as you go 'round the world :)

The choice of 19v for the C2 was ... awkward.

Geof likes this.
  7. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I'll open it up when I get home and take some specs.

The 19V brick that's becoming ubiquitous in the market appears to have a voltage divider which seems to cover the bases: 12V + 5V + 1.5V. Doing a quick audit of Fry's stock of adapters was a joke. They're like 90% 19V now (just with different tips).