1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Replacing the PEI sheet on the R2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by wthierry, Aug 9, 2017.

1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I bought a new pei sheet, since I have gouged mine quite badly. Should I attempt to remove the original one of the heatbed first? or just put the new one on top? Just not sure how hard it is to remove the original one.

Thanks

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Hanover

Hanover Member

Did you ever figure this out? I'm thinking its time to change the PEI on mine as well. I had sent an email to Robo and they just said remove it to replace it but seems I can't get any information on how exactly I'm supposed to do that.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id go for this if you cant wait for better instructions from robo. If you dont have what they suggest just get the adhesive off, clean it good then out on a new one.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I havent tried yet, but I have the new one with new adhesive ready. I imagine the only hard part will be getting the old adhesive off without damaging the bed....

6. Hanover

Hanover Member

I took a good look at the bed. The PEI is stuck to the aluminum and the heated part is screwed to the underside of the aluminum. The top of the screws are hidden by four covers on the top sides of the bed. I think I'm just going to try to remove the heater from the aluminum, put the aluminum in the freezer, pull off the PEI and just use some Goo Gone/Alcohol w/ a razor blade to get rid of the adhesive from the aluminum. Limolene is expensive, and I really don't want to work with that kind of corrosive.

#6 Hanover, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

using the freezer side should aid in more of the adhesive coming off? Cold tends to make adhesive let go. Might be worth a shot.

8. Hanover

Hanover Member

Do NOT try to pull off the covers on the top sides of the bed. Those are actually glued on. So I guess we just need to put the entire bed w/heater into the freezer to pull the PEI off...

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That would be my "guess". I dont have a R2 but you should be able to do that without causing any issues. It will be room temperature by the time your ready to put it back in the machine- if its not, give it a bit to get back to room temp. Not likley to cause an issue but better safe than sorry.

10. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Can anyone tell me where to get the PEI sheet? The one on the R2 is slightly larger than 8" x 8" and I can't find one out there with these dimensions. Should I just buy an 8" x 8"? If so, does anyone have a suggestion?

11. Hanover

Hanover Member

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The key with aliexpress is to not take the free option for shipping, there are plenty of things you can order that will cut your shipping times in half if you are willing to pay a dollar or two more. In the US that basically puts Aliexpress in the same price range as Amazon, and if you are a Prime member then it makes little sense, but in other parts of the world that small surcharge could make a significant difference in shipping times.

Hanover likes this.
  13. Hanover

Hanover Member

That and Ali Express carries just about everything. More than Amazon in a lot of cases.

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

As long as people who buy from Amazon note that most of the items listed come from the Marketplace and are sourced in China. Sometimes Aliexpress is just a better way to go.

I bought all my PC watercooling fittings from AliExpress, a lot of spare parts for the Robo R1 from them. Now that I have an R2 to take apart I will try to figure out how to replace very part from places like Banggood and AliExpress.

Geof likes this.