1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Possible short?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jay312, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Jay312

Jay312 Member

So I finished my E3D V6 and XXL LCD controller, on my R1 Plus. Printer has been printing great for about a week.
    Now two issues are happening

A) Now it seems to stop during a print multiple times for about a second and continue.

B) The printer slows down real slow on a print and just stops, shuts down. Getting a error code in S3D

I did splice the heater, thermistor and fan for the E3D V6 could that be causing a short all of a sudden? I splice them and used heat shrink so I can use the original robo connectors.

I tried unplugging the LCD to see if it was that but it was not.

Thoughts?

#1 Jay312, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. Jay312

Jay312 Member

S3D error photo

Attached Files:

3. Jay312

Jay312 Member

Also did not do any firmware updates for the E3D V6 or the xxl lcd

4. Jay312

Jay312 Member

tried a print in matter control and I'm getting a hardware error, sorry for all the posts, I'm just trying to be as exact as possible to try and figure out what is going on

Attached Files:

5. Jay312

Jay312 Member

Think I found the problem

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Jay312 you have found the problem in that last photo for sure. Temp fall is one of a few things. 1 faulty thermistor or connections, make sure everything is tight. Fans over powering heater (possible). Heater failing (less possible, but I have changed a few).

I'd start there and keep us posted.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, all of the other "errors" you posted were not the actual error. That last one is.

Geof likes this.
  8. Jay312

Jay312 Member

Now will I have to redo or update the firmware after I replace the thermistor? I did read online once this problem happens they have trouble clearing the error code from the firmware

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

?
    If you replace the thermistor with the exact same 'type' the firmware is currently configured for then you are good.
    If (for whatever reason) you use a different one then you must change that in the firmware and load the change.

There is nothing regarding the error code that needs clearing in the firmware. So if you replace the stock thermistor type with an identical one it will just work.

Jay312 likes this.
  10. Jay312

Jay312 Member

I used the thermistor from the E3D V6 and the E3D v6 heater. I just cut the robo connections from the robo hot end and spliced them to the e3d v6 thermistor and heater and plugged them in without changing firmware. So can the no change in Firmware be the reason why I get the error???

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you changed to a E3DV6 style and you had a hexagon (stock) hotend you have to change the thermistor type otherwise it will read wrong.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It would not be the reason for the temp fall error though, that is a sudden drop in the thermistor reading and usually due to a bad thermistor or bad connection.

Not changing the firmware will give you incorrect (but steady) readings.

13. Jay312

Jay312 Member

Just a quick update I ordered a new thermistor and heater from robo and used those and still encountered the same issue, went into the firmware with arduino and got rid of the code for the temp stop print if temp drops, Then my next print the error and stop was cold filament for the extruder. Then my very last test print seemed to be going fine however it seemed like the printer just stopped dead for a second and turned back on. problem is still not resolved, has to be something I did wrong or missed. However I do watch the temp and only see small normal fluctuation like from 210 to 209. 207 the lowest if that then back up.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You would be better off rolling back the firmware to an older version that did not do this rather than trying to customize the firmware. That leaves you in a place where only you know what you have done.

That sounds like a power glitch. Did fans go off too?

You will not see the temperature fall if you watch printing software usually because it happens so quickly that the software attached generally can't react. The firmware is doing that...

You need to try inducing the problem by wiggling wires around and sanity checking all of the wiring from the RAMPS to the hotend. Something is loose/bad connection. If the power problems continue it may be a power supply problem.

15. Jay312

Jay312 Member

yes fans went off too

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then that sounds like the power supply or a complete failure of the RAMPS output power
    Sanity check the power to the RAMPS board

17. Jay312

Jay312 Member

how do I go about doing the test? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

With a digital multi meter. Your looking for voltage out of the ramps board. You should have 12V going to the ramps board from the power supply as well (this is DC voltage)

19. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

If it were me, I'd do the voltage check while the printer's doing something. If something is overloaded it will look fine when idle and then the voltage will drop down to 11V, 10V or whatever when stressed.

In the earlier messages, one of those looked like a CRC (checksum) error on your SD adapter. o_O

#19 OutsourcedGuru, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017