1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X and Y Ringing on prints - possible solutions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jwmueller, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

jwmueller, If your in the US, can you post a link to the rods you ordered. I have no expectations that Robo will send me good rods. I'll spend the $200 and be done with it. After 2 1/2 months and over 50 emails back and forth I just really need to move on and get this thing in use.

Thank you

Geof likes this.
  2. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

6mm Rods - 8mm Rods

I would also call a place that I now can't find! I had it bookmarked before I replaced my motherboard. I will edit this with a link once I find it. Above are direct links to the rods I bought.

EDIT - Call VXB they don't have our sizes listed but are supposed to have good rods.

#102 jwmueller, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I'll take a closer look at this new R2 tomorrow. Maybe post a picture or two. It still has the vertical lines in the prints. Extruder is very tight on the y axis. The x axis is unbelievably hard. When it was printing, it would screech on the x axis at a certain location of the print. This machine looked extra lubed too. They supposedly tested this machine before it was shipped. The shipping boxes were in very good condition. I'll re-square the gantry, but with the rods so bent, I have no hopes for this machine without a rod replacement.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Top of the line- many other top of the line manufacturers that the R2 was clone after use this companies Rods and bearings.

https://us.misumi-ec.com/

Their expensive but good.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I did have to call and create an account with them, but otherwise it was easy and quick. 6mm and 8mm links are at the top of my #102 post for the Misumi site. I did just get in my 8mm bearing shims and they look perfect for stopping the pulley grind on the outer bearing. @Warp Norman If you want two (should only need two), PM me your address. Since you are going to have your machine apart, these will not screw with your alignment.

Geof likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Misumi is very Maker friendly, you can order small quanities, you can get stuff in custom sizes, very high quality stuff. Just a bit on the expensive side.

Geof likes this.
  7. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

@jwmueller, PM sent.
    I will get the Misumi rods. I'm not sure what I would be willing to do if I'd paid MSRP.
    The wife asked me if I would return the printer for refund if offered, I said no to her surprise. I love the feature set of this machine. It's easy to work on. Will be great for our robotic students.
    I WILL get this machine printing well.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Warp Norman with all the issues before putting 200 into the machine I'd strongly suggest returning it for a replacement unit. You deserve a working machine (Its new and all). That said, totally up to you, just hate to see the struggle.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They simply must get this sorted.
    Let's presume for a minute they get this to the point the R1+ was at where they were sold retail (Amazon, Frys. BestBuy, etc) those stores are going to simply accept a return/swap it and they will have a huge stream of broken ones coming back in.

Geof likes this.
  10. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

This was a new replacement that Braydon himself was supposed to have eyes on. I can't say without a doubt but I suspect I would just get another one with bent rods. I don't believe the rods are bent from shipping. I believe they're using some cheap rods or they bent them while manufacturing. I don't have much faith left. And I'm going on 2 1/2 months with a R2 that I'll print with.

Geof likes this.
  11. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Funny thing is they sent me a replacement rod by mistake for a R1+....it was bent too. The packaging for that was undamaged but they still blamed the shipping. The packaging tube would have shown signs of damage to have bent that rod.

I sent Braydon a link to this thread. I hope he reads it.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good. This need attention at the highest levels.
    On the R1+ if it was a threaded rod then some warp to it is not a problem since the design will accommodate a bit of that :)
    Not to say that it was "OK", but it might not have been unusable. If it was a smooth rod, then it was junk.

The R2/C2 design is a bit less forgiving of that (just inherent in the gantry style).

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yep unfortunantly the gantry style machines will fall to pieces. They have very tight tolerances all the way down to belt tension (gantry belt tension is sooo difficult to get right).

I'm sure it will all get sorted, but until it does hang in there and keep after Robo to make it right is all I can suggest.

Warp Norman likes this.
  14. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I basically had 5 machines arrive with damage, in the past few months. Sorry 6 if you count the one that was not an upper gantry. So in my case I just gave up on trusting the shipping supply chain, and bought the rods. Now the printer is happy, still running it hard 24/7 on parts. I would love better quality steppers on it for sure, so that might be the next thing I play with. The extruder stepper gets really hot, anyone else seeing that? (Hot enough to not want to touch for more than a few seconds, so I wonder what that is doing to the filament)

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

jwmueller likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The direct drive systems generally work steppers harder anyway. They should have thought of that :)

17. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

In the past couple of days I've had an opportunity to text with Braydon and speak with Jerry. Jerry says getting me new rods wouldn't be a problem but didn't tell me how long it would take.

I would like to see Robo replace the rods. I shouldn't have to spend money to make this R2 run as advertised. If they replace them, I can change some reviews I've made online. If I have to spend money to make this R2 right, I can't ethically not mention that in a review. I would like to update those reviews with a positive update.

With that said, I don't have much patience left to wait for rods. I had to ask five times for a replacement R2. I asked for new rods and never received them. I'm really hoping to have my R2 up and running by the first week of September.

I do want to thank everybody here for their tips and advice.

18. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I need to take some pictures, but print quality with the new rods is now matching my Original Prusa machines. The surface finish is still a bit behind my FF Dreamer machines oddly enough. However, the R2 handles the supports better and has not jammed an extruder. I ran all three machine types on the same STL, same speed settings, so it was fun to see how close they all were.

If I print slow the R2 will show perfectly vertical stepper artifacts, maybe they can tweak this out on the firmware side still. This is on PETG around 35mm/s, while PLA prints were fine and smooth at higher speeds. At first I thought it was maybe the infill causing the lines, so I did an inside out print with different infill and ended up with the same results. You can feel it on the extruder head, so that leads me to think steppers, drivers, or firmware. It is so minor that is it to the point of looking for something to complain about. ;)

Printed PETG and PCTG down to .03mm, but it I am getting great results at .05mm. I probably need to refine my settings to get the .03 looking better, over extruding I think. Parts are really strong, the PCTG is really amazing. Will update tomorrow with some pictures.

Warp Norman and Ed Ferguson like this.
  19. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Good to hear jw. If you have the time, it would be great to have a write-up on the rod replacement steps, especially the final alignment.

I have one 6mm rod that is bent, although it seems to have little effect on the prints. I may have bent it myself while using the extruder filament release lever, which takes a lot of force to open. Now I just feed the filament in and let the gear do its thing.

But I'm a perfectionist too, so new Misumi rods sound like a good project for this winter :)

20. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

@jwmueller, Glad everything is working better for you. Jerry shipped me out replacement rods and he put an emphasis on "very straight". I hope they arrive in that condition. Should be here Thursday. I look forward to getting them replaced. I'll have a nice holiday weekend to finally play with this thing.