1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2/Cura settings?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimidi, Aug 20, 2017.

1. jimidi

jimidi New Member

I'm certain the pro-users will know this. I'm still quite newbish, and I'm wondering why my resulting prints have what appear to be a structural "truss-like" piece in the larger holes of my part? Is there a setting that's adjustable for this?

I'm creating STL's from Fusion 360 and sending the resultant files to the R2 using the web server interface. Heck, I can't even say where this "truss" piece is being injected.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Are you talking of infill?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I think @Kilrah is correct. IN 3D printing all you get for a model is a 3D surface. The inside bits are created by the slicer software and usually are in some sort of pattern (selectable in most slicers)

4. jimidi

jimidi New Member

Infill sounds plausible... I can take a pic to illustrate the specific part of the print. As I mentioned, I'm uploading STL files to the R2 web server, slicing and then printing. How does one configure the resident R2 Cura slicer?

5. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Are you sure he's not talking about a support?

If I select supports in Cura and my part has multiple holes in it, then depending upon the orientation, it will create truss-like things which want to be removed later.

IMG_0195.jpg

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

This is very limited in terms of features/choices and outdated, you should use the Robo software (customised Cura with presets for their printers) on your computer to slice and transfer the prepared Gcode to the printer.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I tend to agree that you should use an external slicer on a computer if you can and then just upload GCode for the printer to deal with.
    If that is not workable for you then you will want to find more Cura profiles for OctoPrint for the Robo -- to give you more options. Plus, while nice, the Cura engine is not going to be the best slicer for all models. You may want to experiment with others.

8. jimidi

jimidi New Member

9. jimidi

jimidi New Member

Thank you guys... I'll go install the Cura code and see what I can see. While I love the convenience of simply uploading a single STL file to the printer, it sounds like I ultimately need finer control on printing options. This simplistic method is fine for single part evaluations, and ultimately I'll be cloning the parts and printing in mass. Not having to bust out these supports will be desirable in that scenario.

10. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

If you're doing this a lot, you may want to consider purchasing a slicer (some here like Simplify3D) which might do a cleaner part with respect to supports.

And be wary of Cura versions past 2.3.1 (pretty sure I got that right) which have been known to have support-separation issues.