1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Stripped Quick Release Screw

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hanover, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Hanover

Hanover Member

In an effort to unclog my R1+, I went to the official documentation on the Robo web site. Unfortunately the "Quick Release Screw" was tightened so tight that I ended up stripping the damn screw.

How the heck do I fix this? My patience with these printers is starting to wear very thin. I'm now back down to one printer. I've got jobs to do this weekend. Why the heck is removing the hot end from the R1+ such a challenge?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The screws bite into both sides of aluminum heat sink of the hotend. they are very tight because of that. I have found no easy way to guarantee removal, sometimes they com out easy sometimes they don't. I reacll the first time I had to pull them out I was only able to unscrew them about 1/4 inch outward and had to resort to taking a small lock jaw pliers and clamping it to the heads and using it to remove the remainder of the screw. Once one was out the other was easier to remove. I replaced them both at the time with M3 x 50 mm socket head cap screws. then eventually printed a quick release plate (Search Thingiverse) and removed the screws forever.

The quick release plate should be all you need to hold the hotend in place.

If you are speaking of the screws used in the underside to hold the Greg's Wade Extruder in place you may need to wedge a small screwdriver blade into the top to better hold the nut in place while trying to turn the screw from the bottom side. It is easier to do with the carriage assembly off or at least raised all the way to the top of the printer and the plastic cover off.

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Refused to consider it for obvious sanity reasons, but yeah...

4. Hanover

Hanover Member

Yep, it's that one. Its a single screw...and I think it already has the quick release plate (which is what I'm supposed to pull out once the screw is loosened). The reason its stripped is because I thought it was turning. It's hard to know when you cant see it. I've managed to make a slot in it with a slotted screwdriver, but it just keeps turning and turning. I've read that the nut on the top might be stripped.

Okay, I took off the hood, and wedged a screwdriver in and loosened it a quarter turn. The quick release swung out with a bit of effort. I'm thinking there was so much friction there that I don't need to tighten anything back once I'm done clearing the nozzle. Thanks for your help! I'll try whining a little less this weekend. :)

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ultimately replace that with a non-nylock nut. There is no need for it.

Hanover likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Or alternatively screw the nylon lock nut in and out a few times and it will loosen up as threads get cut into the nylon. Nylon insert lock nuts are not a permanent solution and wear with repeated use, that is why you can continue to use it after a few threadings in this particular application.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They way they have the plate around the nut, if it works as intended, you don't need the lock. If it doesn't work as intended you end up like @Hanover is ... "screwed" :) A simply lock washer would be a far better approach if they really think it needs it.

8. Hanover

Hanover Member

Unfortunately the screw has a hole in the center of it now. There's no more turning it. I sent a support request to Robo, but at least my printer is back to printing. If they could just send me a new Greg's Wade extruder assembly, I could fix this on my own. Anyone know if they actually send those as parts?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Doubtful. If you can print, print it.
    I did :)

10. Hanover

Hanover Member

I just found the Wade Reloaded.

I keep asking questions I answer myself, then editing this post after I find them. I found everything I need to do this. :)

Actually, the only question I have left is how to take off the X-Axis belt and put it back on to the new carriage.

#10 Hanover, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Same difference.
    The only difference with the R1+ is that it adds the quick release plate, but that is in addition to a wade extruder.

Hanover likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. Hanover

Hanover Member

Thanks. I found this really awesome video that shows you how to disassemble the entire printer:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member