1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

I set Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER in the config before uploading the new firmware and then while working on getting things setup I was using the LCD to fine tune it.

Also I'm using a mini IR sensor for the Z sensor so UBL was pretty easy, other than going back to each point and fine tuning them.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  2. Robert55

Robert55 Member

It's been a little bit, and I don't mean to break into any conversations, but this IS firmware related. Just had this pop up on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2497674 , which leads to this feature: http://marlinfw.org/docs/features/lin_advance.html . I haven't heard of Linear Advance before, and I was just wondering if anyone around here has messed with it. Both my machines are early into 20 hour prints, so it's going to be a bit before I can really look. Thanks for listening. Take care

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Robert55 Linear Advance has been in the last few builds, but since it is a very particular setting I didn't play with it at all. If you can come up with a few good numbers for PLA and PETG then post so others can see if they work on their printers, that would be welcome.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I see Marlin released 1.1.5. Looks like some UBL fixes and such. I haven't been following what all is included with it.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up, will look at it tomorrow and see if we can keep up.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files for Marlin 1.1.5 preconfigured for the R1 and the R1+PLUS. Only Unified Bed Leveling (UBL) as been enabled. Full Graphics Smart Controller is also the default. Compile has been tested with Arduino 1.8.3 only. Not tested on my Robo R1. Make sure you load defaults into memory (M502) then save the new defaults to EEPROM (M500) before use. It would also be a good idea to perform PID tuning on the hotend and bed to assure accurate and steady heating.

Attached Files:

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I run UBL on my gmax, I think I prefer mesh. Do you see any real benefit to using UBL ?

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Automatic MESH creation, and 1.1.4 fixed a lot of UBL issues 1.1.5 claims to fix even more.

Geof likes this.
  9. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Waldo - Got an error message when attempting to open the Robo R1+ 1.1.5 rar in Winzip. Never had trouble with earlier versions posted.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Thanks @Ed Ferguson I'll look at it this morning. What unraring software are you using. I just downloaded it and was able to extract all the files using Winrar 5.50. In any case I will redo the .rar file and re-upload it.

11. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

I had the same problem using whatever version of winrar I was using (can't version check now, not at home) but 7Zip worked fine.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I repacked both files and re-uploaded them

13. Ed Ferguson

Got it to extract using 7Zip - Thanks.

14. Robert55

Robert55 Member

WheresWaldo , If you don't mind my asking, do you have a trick or two for keeping the changes in the firmware somewhat organized, like for comparison purposes?? I'm upgrading my Robo3D r1(+), and I recently burned a bootloader on a Creality CR-10 and flashed Marlin to that one, too. I can see this getting messy real quick.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Robert55 I use Compare It! (http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp3.htm), that way I can go from one release to another and just highlight the changes required. You can even generate reports on the differences. Then I usually give the new files a visual once-over to see if there are new things that maybe should be enabled or disabled. After that I use the current Arduino IDE (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software) to just verify and not upload. That will tell me if there are any errors or maybe a function that needs another to be enabled to compile properly. At that point if everything looks good I export a compiled binary file so I can flash it from OctoPrint attached to the R1.

On the PC side I put each build in a folder so Marlin 1.1.4 has a folder and 1.1.5 has a folder, etc. I strip everything from the source code leaving just the Marlin subdirectory and in that I remove the example too. That way I can go to the root directory and just archive (Zip or RAR) the entire directory preserving the structure.

16. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Thank you VERY MUCH!!! Lol. I just did a run through on the new release using 2 ArduinoIDE windows next to each other....makes me want to take up knitting.....lol

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

17. Ed Ferguson

Using Marlin 1.1.5 with #define MESH_BED_LEVELING and #define LCD_BED_LEVELING

I'm stuck in the Mesh creation loop and can't exit.

After adjusting Z on the last point and pressing the knob, it Homes XYZ, then displays "Click to Begin".

See: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/7491

Looks like I'm stuck until Marlin addresses this issue.

UPDATE:

However, with #define DEBUG_LEVELING_FEATURE enabled & issuing M111 S34, Bed Leveling upon completion exits to the Main Menu as expected about 50% of the time. So, it would appear to be a timing issue.

#177 Ed Ferguson, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

That is interesting, I just completed the MESH routine on the R2 and since it has no Smart Controller I do not have the LCD menu enabled. It completed the MESH using g-codes. I will keep my eye on this one for the R1.

#178 WheresWaldo, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  19. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

are you using the lcd to do the mesh Ed Ferguson? ill try mine to see, ive only used the gcode inputs to do it so far.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  20. Ed Ferguson

Yes - I'm using the LCD (20 x 4 smart controller).
    Configuration.h uses:
    #define MESH_BED_LEVELING
    #define LCD_BED_LEVELING
    It is supposed to work per the 2nd example at: http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G029-mbl.html
    To test quickly, you can dial Z safely off the bed and not use paper, and of course don't save the results.
    The issue I'm seeing is, after probing the last point the printer Homes, then displays "Click to Begin", rather than exiting to the Main Menu. So, I'm stuck in a loop.
    In a few of my tests with debug turned on (M111 S34), it operated as it should.
    The R1+ belongs to my son (I have an R2). He's not a software guy, so I'm trying to get his printer set up for "untethered" bed leveling.

#180 Ed Ferguson, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017