1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Changing to Flex3Drive, PrintBite, ATP5 bed with glass, Keenovo

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Doug Meek, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Well I've got a new project in line.....I just ordered my replacement Aluminum ATP 5 10"X15"X1/4" plate, Keenovo 600W 120V 240mmX240mm heater, 25A SSR, 10"X10"X1/8" Borosilicate glass to replace the bed and heater.

Also a 250mmX250mm PrintBite plate to hopefully replace my existing PEI build surface.

And a Flex3Drive remote drive extruder.

Should be a fun project when all the parts arrive. The Flex3Drive will require a new X carriage which will need to be designed first once I receive the Flex3Drive. Anybody have any experience with the Flex3Drive?

I will document the changeover with pictures...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Well I got the ATP 5 bed, SSR, and the glass (1 Borosilicate and 2 float glass) , the Keenovo heater will be here today. Now waiting on the Flex3Drive and PrintBite.

A question for anyone who has done this...will the R!+ Y rails be sturdy enough for this new build plate (1/4" x 10" x 15") or should I upgrade to something like 12mm rails? And will the acrylic plate that the bearings mount to hold up to the extra weight?

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

only way to really know is to try and see if it breaks over time( print spare parts in the mean time :D ) 1/4 is pretty thick lol.

4. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

I wish I could have gotten thinner than a 1/4" but for the ATP 5 that is the thinnest that I found. This thing weighs 3 lbs...I suppose I might be able to have a machine shop mill it down but probably not worth it. Do you know if anyone has replaced the rails with larger ones? I kinda think I'd like to go to 12mm rails but I don't know where to get them, along with the bearings for them. If I end up going this route I think I'll beef up the mount for the bearings also. Google here I come.

5. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

AluminumBed.JPG Adjuster.JPG View attachment 14973 View attachment 14972 Here's my design for the plate, 3 mount points with levelers at each point. This will have a removable sheet of glass with either the PrintBite (if I like it) or PEI attached. The piece on the front is for my camera, it can be mounted left, middle, or right on either the front or rear plate. Still waiting for the extruder and rails...

#5 Doug Meek, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it were me I'd go for 4 point leveling, just is better IMO. Looks good though. Will you be sharing your files if anyone else wants to do the modification?

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

3-Point is actually more accurate and easier to get leveled than 4 point. That is why every transit made in the world levels with 3 points. The main reason 3D printers level on 4 points is the lack of knowledge when first designed and the need to properly support the not so rigid materials used in the bed. I would leave it at 3 points.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I perfer the 4 point leveling. I can level my Type A to perfection for first level (manually), other printers...eh...its close. (just my preference for manual leveling ) :D

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not to belabor the point, but after spending 20 years in the construction trade I can tell you that 3-point is easier than 4-point and that is why it is a defacto standard. 4-point leveling is an evil abomination and should never have been used in 3D printers. Delta printers don't level beds with 4 points, ever wonder why that is? This is not a case of more is better! :p

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:p that makes sense why I like it better than, I'm an odd duck like that :D lol

11. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Updated the earlier pictures to reflect the final version of the bed. Here's a detail of the adjustments.
    cutaway.JPG
    Designed the mount for the Flex3Drive...still waiting on the hardware.
    Extruder.JPG
    Received the 10mm aluminum rails today, very light compared to the steel rails.

#11 Doug Meek, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.