1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Click and Snapping Sounds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Echoshard, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

I had to grease all the x/y rod bearings on both sides of the bearings to get rid of that loud clicking noise.

2. Redriche

Redriche Member

What kind of filament? When I was printing luminous/glow in the dark it did the same thing. Print in PLA, no clicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

PLA, at 200C

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. bdk127

bdk127 New Member

I have (had) the same issue on the X and Y axis (cracking noise). Seems to be a common problem, but not always caused by the same thing! So I thought about it for some time after reading some of the replies, I was thinking how does a perfectly functioning printer do this? Well to me (an engineer by trade) decided there was nothing wrong with the alignment (perfect prints), so it had to be something else. I found a suspect in this case... It was the black plastic bushings rubbing up against the flat washers on the frames at the ends of the rods. I decided to try putting a very small amount of 3 in 1 oil on the end of a toothpick where the bushing meets the washer. The end result.... A PERFECTLY quiet printer again like the day I TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX!

This may not solve your problem but very likely could, and it is an easy and cheap fix to a very annoying problem! YMMV.

Brian

supercazzola and jwmueller like this.
  5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

@bdk127 - I saw that on one machine, and then on a repaired machine while replacing the rods I got it a bit too tight and received the chalkboard of death screech. This was the metal pulley rubbing on the full face of the bearing.

I think another louder type of click comes from the bearings inside the extruder carriage having some play or maybe the screws are not snug. As it changes direction on one side it can pop off a loud click. This is for the sound that is not the stepper skipping, but still originates from the center of the printer and not the edges.

#45 jwmueller, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Brian, Can you provide a picture of where your problem was and where you put these small amounts of oil. Mine is doing the same thing. I spoke to Robo tech support and they finally wrote to me and told me they have one doing the same thing(This was 2 weeks ago). Finally, they wrote back yesterday and I'll copy his message to me below:

So, that's what he told me and offered instructions for removing the top, but no instructions on where they put this washer he was talking out.

7. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Interesting on the washers, where I ordered some for mine after I did my 8mm and 6mm rod replacement was where any pulley was touching one of the bearings. I never thought about messing with the plastic spacers as on mine they don't touch both sides of the race on the bearing like the pulley does. I found the metal pulley could touch both parts of the bearing, making some horrible sounds.

8. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well here I am with an R2 that is still clicking like crazy when it moves left to right. I've complained to Robo about this and they keep telling me to put some thin washers in a certain place, but offer no illustrations as to where or how to get them installed. I wrote to robo on their facebook page. They told me the head of customer support would reach out to me. So far, nothing. I did get another message yesterday afternoon in my email from the same person that has responded to all the others and he repeated the same washer solution but offered no illustrations or instructions. I also made it clear that I don't believe we should have to be disassembling these machines to solve problems when they are 3-4 months old. It's ridiculous and my clicking is getting worse it seems.

I did move the two pulleys on the left rear section in just a tiny amount and tightened the set screws but it didn't matter. Robo hasn't once suggested I try that, but since it was posted here, I figured I would give it a shot. NOPE. I'm just beyond frustrated with this. This is my only problem with this machine. The prints are really good in spite of that horrid clicking sound.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Clicking would be the gantry out of square or a failing bearing. These things do happen. If you do not feel up to disassembly contact robo for a RMA before your out of warranty.

#49 Geof, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
  10. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I am hearing a click, I just can't isolate it yet. Is there an hour meter on the machine? I have been printing hard almost 24/7, so I would be curious to know where I am at.

I think I will replace the extruder gantry bearings and see if any noise changes.

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

When it is clicking look very carefully at the extruder gear, you might see the motor skipping if there is too much back pressure.

Geof likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am so familiar with that sound after months of messing with our delta that was doing this.... I don't even need to look to know that one any more. Annoying. Not a geared extruder problem :)

Geof likes this.
  13. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I wish it was just that, when it does do that the sound is completely different. My rods are tight, so they are not causing it. Really just narrows it down to the bearings, or some sort of clearance issue in how they are held (or just bad bearings/cheaper bearings). Right now it is 24-hrs into a print and it has been mostly silent again for the later half of the day. ;)

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cheap bearings I can believe. The LM8UU bearings on the R1 series were ... disappointing :)
    Those were cheap and easier to swap out.

Geof likes this.
  15. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

My problem still exists. I actually received a phone call tuesday evening from Robo and he was very nice and did everything he could to help. He said they would ship out some new bearings for me because they were confident that would solve the problem. He told me if it didn't, that they would proceed with replacing the printer. Well, my bearings came in the mail yesterday [pretty quick] but no installation instructions, so I have no idea how to get them in. There are 4 of them in the package they sent me.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to call them and arrange for another skype or call.
    We don't have any pictures of what you got to make any suggestions.

17. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Here's what I received yesterday:
    [​IMG]

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like the bearings for the hotend carriage...that will be a chore lol. You have to remove the gantry from the machine, then get the rods out so you have the hotend carriage where you can get the bearings out and new ones in then reassemble.

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You can unscrew the four corner screws in the hotend/extruder assembly the top left rear is slightly obscured by the extruder stepper. That allows you to slightly pull apart the sections making bearing removal easier.

20. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Waldo, I would be very interested in your procedure for doing this. I received illustrated instructions for doing it, but their procedure requires removing the entire extruder assembly and rods. I prefer to not have to do this, but if its necessary I'll give it a go. i should note here the instructions they sent me are actually for the C2 model. I've written back to them to make sure the procedure is the same for the R2. I've already started a print job that will take several hours more or I would do it tonight. Tomorrow I'll tackle it and hope it works. They've already told me if it doesn't solve the problem, they will replace the printer.