1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Detached heater core wire help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gartwo, Sep 4, 2017.

1. gartwo

gartwo New Member

Hello all,
    I'm in need of advice/assistance. I've had my Robo R1+ for around two years now, but am admittedly a novice at best when it comes to repairing/replacing hardware. I've been running with all factory parts and have had only a few minor issues ... until tonight. In the middle of a print I get a hardware error message. Inspection reveals one of the two red wires going into the heater core of the hotend has come loose. Attached is a picture of what I'm seeing. Quick search reveals that a replacement heater core/wire is sold in the Robo 3D store, so I'm assuming I can somehow replace only the heater core component of the hotend? At first glance, though, I'm unsure how to begin removal. I'm hoping to get some guidance on this process ...or, would I be better off just replacing the entire hotend? Thanks for any help you can provide.

20170904_235121.jpeg

2. Thomas

Thomas Member

The Heater has two thick red wires coming off it. One of yours broke off. All you need is to buy a new replacement heater core, yes. Simple to replace. Below on the underside of the block is a tiny screw loosen that or remove it to take off clamping tension the block has around the heating element. You slide the old one out and slide new one in and retention down with the little nut again. For this little nut you need a very small hex key. A small screwdriver or top of a pen may help push the Heater through if your other remaining wire is too loose to pull it out. You can also ever so carefully pry the block open just so slightly with a flat head screwdriver if removing screw isn't enough to get the old one out. A new heating element should have plenty of wire to replace all of the old all the way back to the motherboard. Once old is removed follow it all the way back to the board while freeing its wire it as you go. Be sure it's unplugged of course! Remove bottom cover is required. You will find the Heater wires screw in at one of the side corners on the board. Doesn't matter which go where when swapping out for new one. I highly recommend viewing Utube videos by "NoviceExpert" who has a great videos on this and many other things like this process. Oh and re-level your bed manually and again with software after any time you turn the machine on its side or upside down. Also confirm your x axis didn't slip loose or out of place too after turning the machine over. Before you begin take close up pics of your x-axis on each side, of your hot end, and of your board before swapping anything. It's good to have the pics as reference if you forget when going back or for comparing after should you discover a problem. At least with the before pics you can compare and see what looks different. You can get a replacement from Robo directly if still in stock or contact Printed Solid where Matt or Dave are always huge help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gartwo and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, replace the core. No need to replace the entire hotend.
    Those are generic 12v ceramic heater cores. I like the 40w ones.

gartwo and Thomas like this.
  4. gartwo

gartwo New Member

Thanks, guys. Replacement core has been ordered.