1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrading Extruder on R2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adikted2astro, Sep 6, 2017.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm extremely interested in upgrading some components on my R2. My current hotend is doing just fine. I haven't had any problems with it. However, while searching for backup components, I realized that it's next to impossible to find a good hexagon hotend online. Robo only has hotends available for the R1 and C2 right now. However, there are plenty of other choices, specifically the E3D V6 and the Prometheus.

Has anyone attempted upgrading their hotend on the R2 to either of these (or any other hotend for that matter)? If so, have you posted the process in the forum?

p.s. I'm all about upgrades..............

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Except for the fact that the R2 uses a (standard) 24v heater core on the hexagon and the C2 uses a (oddball) 19v core you can interchange them. Buy the C2 hexagon and some 24v heater cores from Amazon... or Get a standard hexagon from Amazon with a 24v heater core.

You will want some JST crimpers and connectors :) You are going to want them at some point anyway.

supercazzola, OutsourcedGuru and Geof like this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You are speaking of Hotend not Extruder, correct?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Me? Yes, if you want to upgrade just the hotend they are largely identical.

Geof likes this.
  5. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Yes, I meant the hotend, sorry.

Geof likes this.
  6. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

I put a Prometheus V2 on mine to test with. Fits and extrudes fine (little tweaking). I just can not get it print. Appears the hot end is to long to allow the IR height sensor to read. Every time I start a print it crashes the tip into the bed and keeps going... I have not time to go back and truly look at it but right now I think it is the IR sensor. I did recalibrate the z offset, went from -6.6 to -15.9 with the Prometheus.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Steve,
    I had concerns upgrading the hotend would put the sensor to far away. You can verify by switching back and seeing it homes without a crash. If yes...move that sensor :D

8. SteveDjarrell

I would say that it also raises the head to the point the fans really will need to be redesigned to go Down the extra 9mm or so. Probably going to swap back to the hex once I get the carbon fiber cleaned out of it. Tried to print protopasta CF PLA and it jammed so bad I had to take it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea a new hotend almost always means a new set up. Should be easy enough

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You would have to do the same redesign if you used a Volcano from E3D-Online. The Volcano places the nozzle 11 mm lower than a standard E3Dv6. From my measurements you should have about 3 to 3.5 mm max to play with regarding length of extruder without having to move the sensor. I haven't looked at the fan setup to see if there is any change needed.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

indeed. even the V6 is longer then the hex correct?

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It might be, I haven't checked?

Looks like properly assembled there is a 5 mm difference in the height, with the Hexagon being the shorter of the two.

Attached Files:

#12 WheresWaldo, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

in summary this is why we opted initially to use another hexagon when we added the second extruder on the C2.
    Sizes are identical.

I think we can figure out what needs tweaking to use others, I don't doubt that at all :)

14. SteveDjarrell

I threw the Hex back on and all is well, definitely the extended height with the Prometheus throwing off the IR sensor. I have a bunch of items to print and the hex is fine for now. I will definitely look into designing out a new carriage to accommodate the Prometheus with correction for the ducts and IR mount. I am in no real hurry right now but is definitely something I would like to do in the future.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am about 90% done upgrading to an E3Dv6, It is not as easy as just drop in a new extruder. The v6 is bigger around and significantly longer when mounted. If you don't physically modify the extruder then you will have more issues.

The v6 requires a short piece of PTFE tube that extends into the body of the heat sink the Hex does not, the collet on the top of the v6 is wider than opening in the bottom plastic section of extruder assembly, the second section up of that same assembly has a tube molded into the piece that should be removed so you can use a longer piece of PTFE tubing and insert it up to the bottom of the Extruder. The IR sensor is not very sensitive at all on the black bed and needs to be relocated about 5 mm further down so it will trigger on a naked bed. That is where I am at now.

The diameter of a v6 also does not allow the metal cover to stay in place since it cannot contact both magnets. The diameter will also prevent any chance of making this a dual extruder, it just won't fit! Nor will any combination of Hex & v6.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am testing my first print with the E3Dv6. It is the same Deprime model I used when testing my modified Marlin. I am using the latest version of RoboOS 1.8.0-r2.0. Just finished PID tuning the v6 and setting up MESH as well as the Home Offset. I am using @Ed Ferguson's S3D profile with just the number of skirts increased and skirt layers decreased. I made no changes to the OctoPrint scripts.

It's printing (nothing else to report just yet).

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Will report back when finished. [​IMG]
    I had forgotten that Ed's S3D profile defaulted to 0.1 mm layers, this is going to take much longer than it should have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Finished print. I think the v6 fits a bit tighter in the metal mount and because of this there is less play in the whole setup. This may allow printing at faster speeds. [​IMG]

mark tomlinson and sgomes like this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now that is a perfect DePrime :)

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Upon closer examination there doesn't appear to be any signification difference in printer performance between the two hotends. I wouldn't do this upgrade if you are solely looking for better prints. It might mitigate other unquantified issues but there are no guarantees. The v6 is completely rebuildable so there is that advantage.

These are identical prints, same gcode, same filament, same settings. Only difference is the hotend. [​IMG]