1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Found a local CNC shop

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OutsourcedGuru, Sep 7, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Just visited it; they're a startup. Looks like this inside (you can pan around in that image). Couple of nice guys running it. Think I'll try to support them by doing their CNC class for a few Saturdays when they get that going.

I think I'm out of my wood phase... just finishing up a hand-made longbow but I could imagine designing something more exotic perhaps. They *don't* have a TIG welder so that kind of takes the fun out of aluminum-based milling. :oops: Dunno, though. Maybe could work up a framework for the desert re-breather project. I'm finding it hard to think in CNC terms after buying a 3d printer.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Why would that make it hard? two totally seperate tool sets. CNC = metal with tight tolerance, 3DP = plastic with low tolerance. You can create more complex one piece parts in 3dp but if you can design then you can design that part to be ran on a CNC. The question is should you/ does it make sense for the cost.

3. OutsourcedGuru

Of course it doesn't make any sense. I think I mostly do all this because I grew up poor and didn't have opportunities for inventiveness like I do now. Most things I envision in the CNC space are like: recreate the human skeleton in aluminum (milled in bone halves and welded back together) as a common electrical ground for a robot with synthetic muscles. I'll never have time for that. Even a single robotic arm would be beyond my time budget, I'm guessing.

Back to reality, I can imagine working up a compound bow. The pulleys could be printed and the other pieces could be milled.

4. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Why do you need a TIG for aluminum? We use a Miller push-pull welder for all our aluminum. TIG is only used in our shop for thin materials (mostly stainless). Plus most people do not have the patience for TIG welding.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All these years we have not been using a TiG either... durn.

Geof likes this.
  6. OutsourcedGuru

Well, it's what we had there at the manufacturing plant. And piles of sheets of 5150 aluminum and all kinds of billets, blocks, pipes, you-name-it. Seems to finish nicely.