1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Autolevel fail after update

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by holmes4, Sep 17, 2017.

1. holmes4

holmes4 Member

I updated my C2's firmware yesterday after not using it for a month or so. Before, I was getting consistently good prints from the C2, but now the autoleveling produces bad results. If the clearance is just right at the back of the bed, it is about 1mm high at the front. This is especially noticeable when using the new "fine tuning" wizard.

The net result is that I can't get prints that work because the nozzle either digs into the printbed or is suspended in mid-air, depending on where it is on the bed. I can feel the Z-height lead screw turning as the head moves back to front, so the printer clearly believes that the bed is not level when it is.

Interestingly, the autolevel procedure itself seems a bit different than before, in that in the back three probes it seems to move on to the next much faster than before.

Suggestions as to how to resolve this are welcomed.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What I did was manually level the plate. A little tape over the magnetic posts (and labeled the front of the bed plate as "front"). I added one layer of tape at a time and tested as I went until it was level. Use something like the attached one-layer calibration print (size it to fit the entire bed).

It is a small bed so manual leveling is not too difficult AND it means you can remove the autoleveling command from the startup GCode if you want (or leave it in).

Attached Files:

OutsourcedGuru and holmes4 like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I went through that because the early firmware revisions they did for the C2 kept altering how the Z offset was applied. Every time an update rolled in I had to relevel. Got tired of it :) For the R2 this is more of a challenge, but the C2 it was not a huge deal.

4. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I will say that if you look at the (okay, my) C2 from the left side of the printer, the entire print bed assembly seems to sag a little from back-to-front. This sounds like it matches what @holmes4 is seeing. For whatever reason, I've not done the last prompted upgrade in the past two months.

I intend to focus on all this since I've got my new print bed in. Can't really suggest anything but I may walk the code to see why the leveling routine doesn't spend the same amount of time in the back of the bed.

5. holmes4

holmes4 Member

Thanks - the tape trick worked.

mark tomlinson likes this.