1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

LCD hung after Update

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mlbailey, Sep 17, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@robodobo Run out and get yourself a new µSD card, 8GB minimum and preferably a name brand (Sandisk, Samsung, etc) from a reputable seller. If you don't have a card reader, then get one with a USB adapter or get a USB Multi-card reader. Download Win32DiskImager (Windows), there are apps for OSX or you can also use Disk Utility to image the existing card. Open the printer's bottom door and carefully remove the µSD card and put it in your reader. Make your image or backup. Now put the new card in the reader and write that image or backup to the card. Put the new card in your printer (be mindful of the orientation), it will only slide in easily in one direction. Then button everything up and power on your printer.

If the new card was 8GB then you won't need to do anything else, if you decided to increase the size (16GB, 32GB) then there will be a few additional steps involved to use all the space available. Download Putty or BitVise SSH (Windows), vSSH or maybe others (Mac OSX). Use it to connect via IP address to your Robo printer. the default username is pi (case is important) and the password is raspberry (again note all lower case). when you get a command prompt type sudo raspi-config (all lower case) the first choice should be expand filesystem. If you select that it will write some text to the screen and tell you it is going to reboot and does in about 5 seconds. After that you printer will restart and you will have extra space (16GB, 32GB depending on the size you chose).

This is not an exact step by step guide but should get you up and running with a better quality µSD card than that supplied with the printer.

2. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

^ And you can always swap back to an earlier version like this so that you can get back to printing.

3. holmes4

holmes4 Member

I give up - how do you remove the bottom door? I assume you don't mean the one under the bed that snaps in, as the SD card isn't accessible from there.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is, but not easily. It is on the bottom of the Raspberry Pi and you can get to it, but it is not easy ... at least not on the C2 given how tight that space is. Let me see if tomorrow I can't do a video or some snaps at least of how to get to it.

5. OutsourcedGuru

If we're talking about removing/replacing the microSD from the Raspi on a C2 then this repository has a step-by-step with photos. Just ignore some of the activity about webcams.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is almost identical on an R2, there is just more room inside the printer.
    That front bezel doesn't come off as easy on the R2 either (there is a door/hinges in the way) but you really do not need to remove it to reach the SD card.

7. holmes4

holmes4 Member

Ok, that worked! The hardest part was reinserting the SD card blind - I found it was easier if I pulled out the full shroud into which the door snaps. I now have 29.3GB of file space and a backup. I'm a Windows user, and most of the tutorials recommended Win32DiskImager, but this didn't work for me - it seemed to make a backup ok but I kept getting "device locked" errors on restore. I then found HDD Raw Copy Tool which worked perfectly. I then followed the instructions earlier to expand the storage space, and that worked too.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Awesome. Odd on Win32Disk imager. It generally works for me. It is not the friendliest software out there...

Hang onto that backup and you know you can roll-back if you need to in case of a crash.

9. OutsourcedGuru

What version of Windows..., 10?

10. holmes4

holmes4 Member

Yes, Windows 10.

11. OutsourcedGuru

Winblows 10 seems to be grabbing an exclusive lock on the microSD card in Explorer when it's mounted. The workaround seems to be to start Win32DiskImager before inserting the card.

Carlos144Green likes this.
  12. holmes4

holmes4 Member

Well, maybe, but shouldn't HDD Raw Copy Tool have the same issue? It doesn't.

13. OutsourcedGuru

Given the word "raw" in the title, perhaps they're using lower-level routines (similar to "dd" in the UNIX world).

14. holmes4

holmes4 Member

Another tip - before removing the SD card, put a piece of tape or make a mark to indicate the edges of the card, so that you have SOME idea of where it goes back.

Carlos144Green likes this.