1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify3D 4.0?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mktacop, Jul 31, 2017.

1. mktacop

mktacop New Member

Is anyone else having any odd issues since upgrading to version 4.0 of S3D?

I ask because since I upgraded, I have not had a single successful print using S3D. Every print I've started has failed somewhere between 2.6 and 4.0 mm in height. In each case, the extruder ground the filament and stopped extruding. I've been using the same settings that were working well with the previous version of S3D. The really odd part is that when I printed the same models using MatterControl, the prints came out just fine. The settings between MC and S3D are the same, so I really don't know what is causing all the failed prints.

This evening I plan to go back to the previous version of S3D and see what results I get. Falling back to the previous version just occurred to me last night and I had a print running with MC so I haven't been able to test my theory as of yet.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Working fine so far on 4 of our printers.
    Grinding and stopping extruding is blockage/backpressure.
    It can be the filament causing microclogs (PLA tends to do this) or something else.

Unless something is screwed up with the S3D profile (just a random example -- if the extrusion rate were set too high which would raise the backpressure and cause a failure at some point) it is unlikely the slicer at fault for that. Still, sanity check your profiles.

Since S3D will happily install new/old versions side-by-side, checking the prints with the old version is a great idea.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the previous version works I would export the processes you were using and import them into the new one. That will help sort it out if something changed there.

5. mktacop

mktacop New Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm printing with Hatchbox PETG and the extrusion settings are the same between MC and S3D. That's part of what has me scratching my head on why MC prints the models fine and S3D has failed every time.

6. EJ Mac

EJ Mac New Member

Did you figure out what the problem is?