1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrading Extruder on R2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adikted2astro, Sep 6, 2017.

1. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

The E3D V6 might have an easier time with filaments that jam in the stock R2. If you have any of those lying around, it may be worth a quick test :)

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I didn't print enough to have any jams, most of what I have here is eSUN I will try some PETG after I finish the tolerance test.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

One more thing, as I mentioned before, it is not a trivial upgrade. I had to drill out a section and remove a significant feature on another. then I also had to relocate the IR sensor so that it would register. You also can't fit the cover back on. You can't go back to the Hexagon either.

4. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Thanks for the updates! Question, when I have had problems is has been due to the long filament path between the stepper and the hotend. How does your setup differ in that area?

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I had to do a bunch of modifying to fix that issue. There is s molded section of tube that is just too big. At least 2.5 mm and it messes with flexible filament. I cut it completely out and replaced it with a 4/2 mm piece of PTFE tubing. I am not even sure it extends all the way up, it likely doesn't for ease of assembly.

[​IMG]
    Robo molded in a guide for the filament, circled in red. I would think they did that because the Hexagon really has no way of inserting a PTFE tube into the cold zone like the E3Dv6 does, the top of it extends into the Extruder the bottom extends to the top of the Hexagon. I cut it off and drilled it out to 4mm so I could shove a piece of PTFE all the way into the extruder after it was inserted into the top of the E3Dv6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#25 WheresWaldo, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Yeah I don't think I'm going to try another hotend for a while. I want to be more familiar with my machine before I decide to modify it. You have written about most of the modifications you needed to make and some are quite substantial. I think that unless I run into significant problems, I'll just keep using hexagons.

I replaced my hotend yesterday with a new one and one thing I did have problems with was the wiring. It was next to impossible to plug in the thermistor and hotend wires and still have room to actually push the hotend through the corresponding hole and mount it. I think I will try building my own in the future instead of ordering one through Robo.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is less motivation on these to use the E3D (which if that was part of their design considerations -- I am impressed).