1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adopt-A-Bot community school program

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by danzca6, Aug 15, 2017.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I did to. That is how the purchase page read to me, but...we'll see what ends up coming in for the $40. He also mentioned substituting in beefier 12mm rods and shoulder bearings over the 8mm ones that come stock on the Smalls to give more rigidity given the printed parts being added. He had a bunch left over from the Simple Metal I think. I knew we would need to print parts to go along with the kit, but didn't know it would be this much. I am curious to see how it all comes together. If the quality isn't up to what I think should go into a school, I will buy another full kit to use for donation. I'm optimistic though.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

just reach out if you need something buddy. I'll try to help out.

3. danzca6

Not sure if you all saw this posted today, but the AdoptABot version of the Printrbot smalls model has been released. It's a test version. So may have some adjustments posted soon. What do you all think? 4 inch cubed build volume and no heatbed, but that might be just right for kids learning. https://t.co/b1MePVZxrc

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I actually like that design. It eliminates a lot of the things that can cause slop in the axis drives.

danzca6 and Geof like this.
  5. danzca6

My box of parts came in the mail today. Was supposed to be Monday according to tracking number last night. Time to print the needed parts, build, test, deliver, and support a local classroom.

DKbnBQuV4AAx8M_.jpg

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Got mine as well danz can you link final rev parts

7. danzca6

They haven't dropped the stl files yet. Hopefully by EOD Monday. The link for the Fusion 360 drawing/project has been updated. Do you use 360? If so you can save off the parts as stls. If not, I can see about doing that and sending them to you.

How are your steppers? Mine are iffy. One is very stiff in a third of the rotation. I need to get the electronics hooked up to see if it all works.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Haven't looked at me. Not gonna worry until I put it togather and see that f the drivers care ;)

Il snag the 360 files

9. danzca6

Adoptabot.org had a link to 'stl' files. http://a360.co/2xrflzY but it's just a360 project of printed parts needed. Easier to snag what's needed to STL.

10. danzca6

Brook did change the STL link on the site http://www.adoptabot.org/ to be just a zip file of the STLs. He also updated the two files for the case to have some extra meat for some of the screws to go into it. He should be emailing out a newsletter with more info soon he said. I also had to design and print a 4 standoff pieces to mount the printrboard. He didn't include them in the kit and weren't on the BOM. He said he forgot that he was going to add them built into the case files. I actually redesigned the case yesterday to be one piece and added the standoffs before he mentioned it.

Also the parts that are supporting the ends for the rods have 0 tolerance in the files. I ended up just lightly hitting them with an 8mm drill bit to make them go on and keep the friction fit. YMMV depending on your printer. I did however find the coupler for the 1/4 acme threaded rod to be about 0.1mm under. I'm putting that on a lathe today to bore it out a bit more. I also put the linear bearings through an ultrasonic cleaner. They were so gunky. Lubed them back up and much better now. Refurbs and spares, but can make them work.

Also, what hotend did you all get? I got one of the old Ubis ceramic ones that's all tan. I see others getting the newer Ubis I3S ones that are black.

Still waiting on firmware files as well. Need to finish testing the electronics. All I found were .hex files and want to be able to redefine the setup for this bot.

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havent actually looked at what hotend came with mine. I'm waiting for his "final release" and am going to build it that way so the school can easily replicate if they would like to (they'll get a flash drive with the firmware, files, and links to sources for the wiring and Printrbots website so far).

So heres the real question...those samples they included in the box...you think their PLA ;) lol. Unmarked.

12. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

My i3 was still printing the parts when I went to bed last night, woke up a little late and had to run to work without checking the printer.

We'll see, but when I went to bed the parts looked good in that great red PETG Makergeeks sells.

I haven't actually opened the packaging for the electronics, but is there any reason I can't design a mount for a Raspberry Pi and have it running an Ad-Hoc Octopi server alongside the controls for the printer? I kind of want this to be able to be run without tying up one of the rare PCs the local rural school has (so most of my support will be helping them figure out the workflow).

danzca6 likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont see why you couldn't? Octo likely wont care what the printer is. Not tying up a computer is a good thing, expecially if your schools are like mine.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Totally workable.

15. daniel871

Looks like running it Adhoc is going to be an issue (Octopi isn't set up to run as it's own access point/network). Ah well, I'll have to deal with rural high school IT to get it set up on their network.

16. danzca6

Yes it is. It's the same sample filament my dad got with his wooden simple kit years ago. Hopefully it isn't that old. :) He came by yesterday to see all the progress and what came in the kit.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. danzca6

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea I've got that, now to free up a printer to run out some petg lol. Maybe once I've tested the CR10 after the dual Z it can run those.

19. danzca6

I've been printing in PLA...maybe I should switch to PETG for this

20. daniel871

I was just about to say I hope nobody is making theirs with PLA. It just isn't something I'd subject to a lot of mechanical movements like what a 3d printer does.