1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Mintemp error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Toole, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

I contacted customer service and they directed me to make an appointment for a tech to contact me via Skype for today at 5pm Central time. No call. Insulting.
    However, is there anything I can do to try and troubleshoot this error so I can get the appropriate parts ordered and get back to printing?
    What are my options?

Thanks,
    MT

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Mintemp error (or maxtemp error) are both problems with the board reading the thermistor on the hotend or heated bed (the error should also be telling you which part is hitting MINTEMP -- the extruder normally).

The thermistor is bad (short or open circuit) or the wiring to the thermistor is bad. Try reading the resistance of the thermistor back from the RAMPS board if you have a multimeter. it should be reeally close to 100 kohms.

If you tell us which printer you have (beta/R1/R1+) we can get you a picture of the RAMPS board so you know where things are connected. Assuming it is an R1+ here is the picture (if it is NOT the R1+ then this is not your exact picture):

Annotated Ramps.jpg

The extruder thermistor connection is labeled -- you would lift/unplug it from there and read resistance back. Should be about 100 kohms. If not there is your problem. MINTEMP / MAXTEMP are open/short circuits -- I forget which is which, but I think MIN TEMP is an open circuit thermistor and MAX TEMP is a short (because they are negative temperature coefficient).

#2 mark tomlinson, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you need an actual part it is usually the thermistor itself (cheap part too) however in rare cases it could be a bad RAMPS board.
    Sadly the thermistor on the R1/R1+ is a canister style that is not readily available elsewhere. Even the generic Hexagon you get from Amazon (for example) is a different thermistor style (physically).

Geof likes this.
  4. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Thanks! I have the R1+ model printer
    Continuity testing from the board as indicated in the picture shows an open (1. ) on all scales
    So I would need to purchase the complete hot end from Robo3D to get it, correct? Their site does not show the part separately.
    I really appreciate you guys jumping in to help as well. :)

Thanks,
    MT

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want a faster response, call.

7. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Spoke with Robert, he sent me an invoice for the thermistor and the cable. printer is 4 months old so I guess it is not covered by warranty. :) Either way, last time I ordered something from them it took two bus days just to get shipped so overnighting is not really cost effective. especially for a $5 and a $2 part.
    Good to know going forward.

I will mark the thread resolved once the items are received and the printer is up and running again.

I appreciate all your help. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Really should have gotten two :)
    Let us know. I wish we were able to find an actual source for those, we have looked all over (including Alibaba and BangGood) and while there are a couple that might fit and work, they are not an exact match.

9. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Lol. I tried. The invoice wouldn't let me up the quantities. Of either item. I'll wait and if it fixes the issue, I will order spares. Like the spare beds I have.