1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Are People Having Success?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by aaronwstone, Aug 25, 2017.

1. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

Im having a horrible time with this R2. I've gotten support here, I have gotten support from Robo, I have gotten support locally from a buddy that has 8 printers (all running). I have finally just given up on it. This was my first printer and I spent a lot of money on it because it seemed like it was going to be awesome. I just gave the printer to a buddy of mine and asked him to just go through it and see if he can find anything wrong with before I sell it.

Seem like a great deal of people are having issues.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, many people are having success. Many are also have various issues (some minor, some major) just like most other printers out there :) You can get it sorted (and under warranty you should have already had them replace it if you are not having any luck).

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep thats my Vote. Replace it.

4. Vince Westin

Vince Westin New Member

Without details, it is difficult to help. Once you have the printer on the network to your PC, the web interface gives a great way to monitor and print. The Cura default settings will build Goode that works, though it is far from optimal. Doing the recommended tuning of the Z axis to be sure the printing is at just the right level is critical - without that, nothing will work well.

5. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

Currently ROBO has it. They have had it a couple of weeks now. No word yet.

6. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Perhaps they will swap it out for you?
    Any news back ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

Nearly 2 months later I finally have my printer back from Robo. The essentially replaced everything and calibrates it in house and returned it to me. I just got it back Friday and haven’t even unboxed it yet.

8. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

From what I understand, they're a bit backlogged on some of these. Perhaps they'll hire someone who could be semi-dedicated to fixing those warranty repairs.

9. mathewwben

mathewwben New Member

Hi,

Great posts by aaronwstone . you have done very good posts for me. Thanks for your discussions

10. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Today is Friday, October 13, 2017 - and YES, I am having success.

My R2 has been printing non-stop since coming out of the box just 2 days ago.

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  11. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Good, I'm glad to hear it. I also had some issues with my R2, although I never had to send it back. The main issue was a bent z-axis lead screw. Once it was replaced, everything started printing fine. All of my other issues were operator error. I just didn't understand how everything worked and I really didn't understand that 3D printing is not easy, not at all. It takes a lot of experience to produce really good prints. Robo has tried helping me with some of these issues, but their customer service is - I'm sad to say - horrible. If they can get on their feet and start helping customers the way they should, it would be a fabulous company. As it is now, in order to actually get someone on the phone who knows what they are doing, it can take up to a week. That's unacceptable by anyone's standards, especially after shelling out $1500 for one of their printers. I happen to love my R2 now that I know how to properly operate it. After what I've been through with it, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  12. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

But I still want good customer service from Robo, regardless of what I do with my printer.

13. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

I have to say although I respect your here,comparing it to experiences with all other printers it's not really valid when this printer was touted as being the printer that would make 3D printing easier and more accessible to everyone. I bought mine for work. I don't have any experience with 3D printing and I don't have a lot of time during working hours to troubleshoot the printer. I specifically sought out a printer that was supposed to be good out of the box. I've had some success but I find that there is no consistency in quality between one print and the next, all things remaining equal. For the amount of effort I'm having to put into this, I should have saved $1,000 and went with a CR-10.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Day Vid . No disrespect meant by this and I agree to a certain degree but being new I'd like to carify a few things.
    I have a great many machines, more than most and more manufacturers than most. There are few to none that dont tout themselves as being the best 3D Printer for everyone. Its a marketing campaign to get you interested in the machine. Very few dont market in a way that they are superior (for new users and advanced)
    That makes it very hard to get a working machine. If possible see if you can take your machine home for a bit to diagnose it, or get ahold of Robo support and let them know it was not plug and play and you'd like to look into the option of having the machine replaced for not living up to that part of the advertising. They do have a support team and your issues need to be resolved, but you will need to invest time in this, with any machines. They are small manufacturing machines with many moving parts, not an appliance yet. One day soon hopefully.
    I have a CR-10. Overhyped chinese made machine with cheap components. Works but also requires work on the user end. The CR-10 has facebook groups and the such but I find it easier to pop in a forum and ask questions/start a thread. You'll notice us other users try not to leave anyone hanging. That said, if you still believe the CR10 will be plug and play with no worries and vastly better than the R2, by all means, ask them for a refund and give it a shot, but you need to act quickly before that time is up.

disclaimer: I do not work for Robo (nor does @mark tomlinson or @WheresWaldo ) We are volunteers who staff the forum because we want to be able to help other users and keep this group friendly and open (both the good and the bad). Our opinions and statements dont reflect an absolute and are in no way able to be used as official Robo responses :D.

15. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

I'm willing to concede that my expectations were probably unrealistic. My point with the CR-10 was that if I have to put this amount of work into getting this thing printing, than I should have gone with one of those and saved the money. At least with the CR-10 there are far more resources available on how to get them printing decent. The only resources for this machine are a handful of YouTube vids, the online manual which is sparse, and this forum. And combing through the forums reading the posts of people with similar concerns as me I see a common theme among the responses: Welcome to 3D Printing, you should send it back.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Start a thread with your issues and we will be happy to help you :)

Day Vid likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It depends on the problem. A hardware problem (something likely broken in the printer) that is the only reasonable answer ... the printer is not cheap enough to be wasting warranty spelunking around :)

Problematic prints due to poor setting or other non-hardware issues... sure we can help with that.
    Frankly we can help with solutions to hardware problems too (read the reams of posts in the R1 area) but it is best to understand that given the custom bits of this printer you may need to get with Robo to get replacements anyway.

As these mature and more folks are modding theirs you will see more options, but we would be remiss is trying to help you around a hardware problem when you are under warranty without at least telling you to use it.

Day Vid and Geof like this.
  18. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

Thank you

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.