1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Joel Telling's video on heat creep in the R2

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sgomes, Sep 6, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Robo has sent me the STL for a modified fan duct now, one that uses the screws in the fan to hold it. I’m awaiting permission to share it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Still would rather see the actual 3D Model (STP, IGES, SLDPRT, F3D, SCAD, etc.) much more useful and can be edited or imported easily. I have no idea why they are so averse to including the models.

3. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

I have the *.STP file for the one referenced by supercazzola, not sure where I got it but I believe it was from a post on this forum (Got it today around 5). Which file are speaking about Whereswaldo?

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I got the same one as above, what I want is still the actual fan shroud STP file, not this little airflow director.

supercazzola likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@SteveDjarrell
    No, nothing in firmware either that I can see. It is simply non-adjustable on the C2/R2 (our delta is firmware adjustable, not this).

Put a heatsink on the stepper. We did that on our delta since the steppers ran hot and it was a big help.

6. denisvic

denisvic New Member

7. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

@denisvic
    Here it is. You need to remove two screws from the back side of the fan and move them to the side to hold it in place. It will make sense if you look at my post #41 above.

Attached Files:

8. denisvic

denisvic New Member

@supercazzola Thank you very much, it worked very well. Now I can print entire parts with nGen material.

Geof and supercazzola like this.
  9. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I might have the stp for the new shroud they designed with the screws, have to find where I hid it. :p

supercazzola likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I haven't printed a new shroud yet and the last two attempts at printing with PLA has resulted in heat creep and the need to fully disassemble the hot end to remove the filament that has expanded within the heat break. Guess it's time to print a new shroud.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havent run into any heatcreep that I recall with my R2. I've ran about every material I have an not had an issue (and no it wasn't small prints lol). Wonder if I got the only 25mm fan that isn't horrible at being a fan lol.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I rearranged the wiring to place it all in the front and reoriented the heat block so that it goes from side-to-side on the long end instead of front to back. Maybe that will be enough for this anemic 25 mm fan. In the meantime, it may be time to open up that roll of Alloy 910 to print another fan shroud.

sgomes and Geof like this.
  13. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Which fan shroud are you thinking of printing?

I've had issues both with heat creep and insufficient part cooling (overhang tests don't perform that well, for example), so I was hoping to solve both issues in one go whenever I finally have the opportunity to take a look at this.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am working on a modified version that only has one parts fan dumps the fan in the back and uses the standard E3D fan shroud and 30 mm fan attached directly to the heatsink.

I will never go dual extruder with this printer, in my opinion two extruders on this printer is a kludge. I have no issues dumping the extra parts fan.

sgomes likes this.
  15. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I designed a new front plate to direct the air flow and opened the front to vent. Added a couple of flat head screws so it's sticks magnetically. I printed a prototype with PLA to test out. Never printed it in PETG because the PLA hasn't failed even after multiple 20hr prints.

(Not pictured)For parts cooling, I strategically placed a piece of duct tape on the exit of the shroud to make the air current more direct on the print. It worked well so I never printed the newer shroud.

Attached Files:

jwmueller and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

If anybody is interested in using this with the original fan shroud. You may need to file the edges a bit for a perfect fit. I'm sure it would depend on the material used.

Attached Files: