1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Monoprice Maker Select Mini Delta.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by daniel871, Oct 2, 2017.

1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Hype page: https://mpminidelta.monoprice.com/

Resource Wiki: https://mpminidelta.com/

Review on Hackaday: https://hackaday.com/2017/08/21/monoprice-mini-delta-review/

Very boring review video by one of the beta testers:

PETG Baby Groot that I printed at .1mm layers and 100mm/s

[​IMG]

Naturally, the infamous PETG stringing is present, but I can scrape the bumps off with my fingernail and the strings come with them.

So far, so good. My only failure so far was due to a flat segment in the spool of filament I was using.

I'll post updates as I print things with this machine and answer any questions I can if anyone has any.

Oh yes, the price for me was $160 on Indiegogo when pre-ordering it (including shipping). Rumors are that it's supposed to stay at or around that price when Monoprice updates their product listing to actually show up. You'll notice the beta tester above paid $170, but I don't know if that included their shipping or if the beta testers paid more.

The printer will be available at this link when the listing goes live on their website: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21666

Right now that link will just take you to the Monoprice.com front page because they aren't stocked up/ready to open general orders, but supposedly it will open up in the second half of November.

Whenever it does become available, I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a cheap backup printer to print spare parts for their larger machines and/or who makes a lot of things that fit in it's build area that would free up the bigger machines you own to print bigger things.

This thing is fast. I cannot emphasis this enough. That baby groot I posted above was barely making the steppers whine (as I said in the Shoutbox, this thing is quieter than the laser printer next to the delta in the background of the groot pic).

Other people in the FB group report printing at 250mm/s speeds with no issues other than the machine finally getting noisy.

The only cautionary tale for this machine is that the SD card that ships with it is crap. Buy an 8GB standard speed microSD card. One of the cheap Kingstons or something and format it Fat32 with the smallest cluster settings your formatting tool will allow (the explanation for this would take a lot of text to explain, but the testers found that using the smallest clusters when formatting seemed to eliminate corrupt files on the really cheap cards).

#1 daniel871, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Nice printer for the office...for the price...not bad at all

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Monoprice does a good job of supporting their products. I have been buying from them for over 20 years. Ironically they were my primary source for top-notch cabling at discount prices... they have grown :) I still buy my wiring from them.

4. daniel871

Monoprice has only been around for 15 years (founded in 2002).

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, memory is the first thing to go ;)
    It has been a long time. I 'm pretty sure I was shopping with them in the 90's

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Regardless, good company to do business with
    I also know folks using one or more flavors of their printers.
    Decent machines.

#6 mark tomlinson, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  7. daniel871

Here's a Marvin printed with the same settings as the Groot above with two changes:

Retraction speed bumped from 45mm/s to 65mm/s
    Wipe distance bumped from 2mm to 5mm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@daniel871 The Marvin looks much better. That printer is small, it would make a good desktop tchotchke printer. It looks like a perfect fit in that cubicle.

Geof likes this.
  9. daniel871

Yeah, it really does.

The best part is that it's quiet enough that nobody in the office gives a shit that it's running while I'm working until they walk by and see it working and get instantly hypnotized by the arms moving the effector around.

It's printing one of those three-fin rockets intended for printing in Vase mode right now, scaled for the max Z-axis build range and slightly offset from center so the nozzle will move away from the tip when it's done. Pic of that coming when it's done.

Geof likes this.
  10. daniel871

Print complete.

[​IMG]

Now printing the Monochromatic vase and a twist vase that Joel Telling was fond of printing on the CR-10, but scaled to fit on the delta.

Geof likes this.
  11. daniel871

Also for reference, because some folks are complaining about how loud the printer is on Facebook, here is how loud mine is while printing (using a free app on Google Play, hence the ad).

[​IMG]

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not bad, the Robo is not exactly quiet and my delta freaking sings.

If you want silent get a DLP :)

Geof likes this.
  13. daniel871

Somebody on Facebook is getting super salty about that and calling me a liar, lol. As if the effort it would take to photoshop that screenshot would be worth it for some reason.

EDIT: I've been printing things at work and nobody has noticed the noise until they're right next to the machine, usually already walking to my desk to ask me about something.

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All FDM printers with steppers are going to make some noise, but with correct mounting and non-silly acceleration numbers even cheaper steppers can be made reasonably quiet. Those are not unreasonable numbers. Ignore the idiots.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm jazzed up for ya. Looks like a pretty fine machine. Will wait to hear your thoughts after a few days of running it but may be a good toy maker for the nieces and nephews. Maybe a Christmas present or something :D Thanks for the thread and all the pictures!

16. daniel871

The only reservation I have on recommending it to kids or utter newbie adults is the same one that goes for everyone that buys a 3d printer--getting familiar with the workflow of slicing an STL properly for printing.

Then again, kids would probably pick it up a lot faster than adults.

Geof likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh their smart cookies :D They run mine when they visit lol. Set up S3D profile and they slice and run. (I keep a back up of the .fff for when they tinker lol)

18. daniel871

So, practical design/prototyping.

I have the equipment to make a thing out of stainless sheet metal, but rather than waste precious metal material in prototypes I'm printing prototypes and testing the fit before finalizing the sheet metal drawing to go by in making the proper stainless part.

Here is the part itself that I'm designing up, goes on the drain tray of a griddle.

[​IMG]

Took some measurements on my actual griddle and came up with this model.

[​IMG]

Printing it now on my tchotchke delta printer here at work and I'll test fit it when I get home and make adjustments if needed (or maybe just use the part itself for a bit to make sure grease flows like it should since I'm printing PETG and that shouldn't care at least until next Summer since Fall/Winter is coming on).

EDIT:

I should mention that I offset the model in the slicer space because I've already managed to damage the stock "buildtak" surface removing prints, so I've gone ahead and removed the entire thing and continued printing on the residue left behind by the "buildtak".

Problem is, there is a "clean" spot directly in the center of the build plate so I've shifted over to print on the residue in that area.

I've got some Printinz skins on order but they won't be here for a bit.

#18 daniel871, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    danzca6 likes this.
  19. daniel871

Part finished, now to get it home and test it.

[​IMG]

20. daniel871

Left this thing (Pyramid 6 - rescaled for build plate) printing overnight last night.

Here's the progress so far:

[​IMG]

Probably should have went with Pyramid 5 and no rescaling to get a proper/clean Vase Mode print.

Geof likes this.