1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Uneven Extrusion/print quality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by astro boy, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astro boy

astro boy Member

I just replaced my Thermistor and now my print quality seems to be suffering. I have never printed the model I'm trying now which is a coaster that I downloaded from thingverse that says nasa on it and is from the movie Interstellar. I'm using Simplify 3d, The Robo R1+ with auto leveling @ 190 and using PLA.
    On previous prints a day ago, My extruder feed seemed to be slipping as it layed down the first layer without any difficulty but subsequent layers it was not extruding even though the motor and gears for extrusion were turning. I decided to use a smaller lighter roll of PLA thinking the weight of the roll was holding it back. This never was a problem before, I'm not experiencing any non extrusion at the moment with the lighter less full roll.
    I will post a pic of the finished product tomorrow. Any thoughts for the extruder not giving an even stream?

thanks in advance for any thoughts on this
    John

2. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Don't know the brand of PLA, but same thing happened to me, so I upped the temp to 240°, and it made all the difference in the world. When u replaced the thermostat, it might be a different model than what it had before, so something in the FW isn't right. I compensated by upping the temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. astro boy

astro boy Member

I'm can't seem to upload a pic from my phone so I will try tonight on my computer. I'll also try the print again with a higher temp. I was wondering if I should use 100% infill as well. Maybe that's why I have voids in the surface?

Thanks!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Should really modify the firmware as the temp readings can cause bigger issues. You want as accurate a reading as possible for many reasons :D

6. astro boy

astro boy Member

I'm printing another model tonight, a nasa logo I found on Thingverse. It seems to be going better after upping the temp to 210. not as spotty as my print of the nasa coaster. see pic of coaster. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the models I'm trying to print. I'm not sure how to know if there's a problem with them. I should probably pick something as a test standard. something I know prints well everytime. I'm not sure how to change the firmware. I do work with computers all day but in the graphic sense. I leave the software stuff to our it guy lol I'd like to learn as much as I can though. I'd like to get the best prints I can of course. IMG_1165.JPG

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A few things that are possible. Under heated or under extruded. I have spools of PLA that print fine at 190°C and others that need 215°C. You will soon learn that filament ǂ filament ǂ filament. Even when from the same manufacturer. Color (which is an additive) can affect the ideal flow temperature. With PLA it has a unique ability of becoming more resistant to flow as it is heated (stickier) until it is completely liquid, which we do not want. So that is why seasoning the brass nozzle helps for a lot of people. It is similar to seasoning a cast iron skillet, but usually just requires that you dip about 1" of the beginning of the filament into some canola or corn oil and then running it through your printer.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Could also be too few top layers, but I am leaning more towards what @WheresWaldo suggested.
    Do a bit of experimenting.

9. astro boy

astro boy Member

Well after making a bunch of prints, I'm going to say that this is resolved. Not all the prints I've made have been first rate but I suspect it's more an issue with the models themselves rather than the printer. Some print great some don't. It seems that a lot of the free models you find on the web aren't always perfect or are flawed in some way. Not all mind you. Generally if no one has made a print of a particular model, say on thingverse, it seems that the model has issues most of the time.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, not as simple to model for printing as it seems :) There are a few things to watch out for and it is easy to "go crazy" and model up unprintable models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.