1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adopt-A-Bot community school program

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by danzca6, Aug 15, 2017.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Was talking to a young man on youtube the other day about the all in one cooling solution on the adoptabot. He had a good point that for printing PLA you don't want the part cooling to be on, but you need the hotend cooling on. So I'm thinking it might be worth it to separate the two out. I see that Printrbot has hotend cooling brackets on youmagine. I may try that. What are your thoughts? Worried about first layer if part fan is blowing?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Part fan wont be on all the time on mine lol. I'll likely gut his board and put a ramps in, use marlin and a real part cooler. cheaper to replicate and can use a LCD

danzca6 likes this.
  3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that it's very difficult to have too much cooling on PLA. Since this will essentially be a PLA-only machine I don't see that being a problem.

It's not like the air blowing across the bed is going to affect bed temperatures enough to affect adhesion, especially since the build surface is likely to be either coated with masking tape or hair spray (depending on how much the teachers trust the students to use hairspray).

4. danzca6

Fun fact... Did you know that the printrboard F5 and F6 series actually can take 12V or 24V? Just found that out on Brook's Facebook Livestream today. Thought that was cool.

Speaking of cool... Brook told me that you should be able to print for about 30 minutes with the F5 and older boards before heat creep becomes an issue. So you could turn off all cooling for the first layer without a problem. According to him. He also said splitting out to use 2 fans was a good upgrade. So take it for what it's worth.

Learning more about printrbot than I ever thought I would.

#64 danzca6, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  5. danzca6

I finally got the wiring under control. Designed and printed a cover for the electrics. Power went out this morning, so had to use some harbor friend freight LED lights to take a pic. I'll post the file tonight.

20171004_080635-1353x1130.jpg

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Danz I havent even build mine yet ! lol printed the parts and what not but havent had a change to put togather lol! :D

Is the smalls firmware marlin? I'd hate to not have a controller and dont want to waste a Pi on a cheap printer lol.

danzca6 likes this.
  7. danzca6

Unfortunately, no header on the F6 series Printrboard for an LCD controller. I've been trying to find someone that has done it, but so far nothing. So Pi Zero maybe, but yeah that does suck. Throwing a cheap Mega/Ramps/Full Graphics combo on it might be the same price as a Pi. That's one thing I don't like with this setup for a school...well not the only thing.

8. danzca6

Looks like you can add an LCD. Will need to solder in some pin headers and make a cable, but doable. Hmmm...would like to try that.

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Got docs on that? :D

10. danzca6

Yes...http://rs-micro.com/?p=285 Although I remember reading that you still have to use the microSD slot on the printrboard. That is ok I guess, but would be nice to use the larger SD on the LCD. It does use Marlin and there is some documentation on compiling it. Sounds like it can't handle many extras due to memory restrictions. Won't do a full graphics lcd. Just the 20x4 text lcd from what I see.

http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware_Update

My board is not behaving...so I may go to a ramps if I can't fix it soon. I really want to learn more about the printrboard though. No working USB connection. Not even recognizing it as a generic in Windows 10. I can plug in power and get a green light, but nothing. Press reset and the fan goes on, but turns off when I release it. Tried jumping the boot pins and reset and nothing. Until I can get USB to work I can't flash it. It's been the most frustrating part since there is no warranty on these parts. They are all refurb/spares sold AS IS. I'll keep playing with it. If I get it back to working, I'll try an LCD.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

just cut the loss and swap to ramps/arduino lol. maybe @WheresWaldo could do a quick mesh vanilla marlin for it :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Since it uses the sensor probe this would probably be pretty good for small build space the machine has.

I know the small build plate on the mini delta has been working really well, though the sampling it does (6 x 6 on a 110mm circle) is overkill.

13. danzca6

I could update it for mesh as well. @WheresWaldo keeps things well documented and it's not that much different than the Robo once you add the Ramps. Just need to account for the different z probe, no heat bed, and hotend thermistor type. The build size and steps are documented on printrbot. I wouldn't want to burden him to adjust all that.

14. danzca6

There is a guy I follow from the UK on Twitter that has redesigned some stuff for the adoptabot to use a V6 hotend and the ramps. He's printing it all out now to see if it works. I'll be interested to see how well it works.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:O DANZ! Mesh me baby! LOL do it !

16. danzca6

Here is the Thingiverse post of the custom adoptabot using RAMPS and E3D. He has posted some pretty good looking prints from it. I think since he sourced his own components and didn't get them as refurbs helped a lot. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2672293

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

a 80 hotend on a 100.00 kit? lol

danzca6 likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Because they could, not because they should :)

19. danzca6

Yeah not too ridiculous...not like they added a ruby nozzle to it or anything :) Baahahaaha

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

oh my now we gotta get me started on that! :D