1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Opinions on best slicer/user interface for robo3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mbisjr23, May 6, 2015.

1. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

i was wondering what you guys think is the best slicer/ user interface for the robo3d. I have been using matter control since I bought the machine 4 months ago but was wondering if there is something better out there.
    Thanks!

Mooky likes this.
  2. Mooky

Mooky New Member

That's an excellent question.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Forgetting/ignoring the UI side of things, the best slicer I have seen so far is Simplify3D. Unfortunately, not free.

Of the free ones the one I use/like the most is Repetier host, but Cura has come a long way as well (Cura is faster than Slic3r, but it has more hiccups). Some of the stand-alone slicers (like kisslicer) I have tried just for giggles, but most of them are not really ready for prime-time.

MatterControl was and still is at the moment bottom of the barrel (most bugs, least features, least useable UI--all my opinion). I think they were going for an 'easy' to consume UI for the beginner, but I am not sure they hit that mark. Not yet anyway.

Printed Solid likes this.
  4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I second Simplify 3D for best.

The best UIs come into play when you are using the slicers that are specifically developed for the printers. Makerware is really clean, but obviously isn't going to do anything for you on a Robo. Likewise, Cura when you can just run it in easy mode on an Ultimaker is sweet as well. Like Mark mentioned, MatterControl was robo's attempt at this, but I'm also not a fan (yet).

I don't like running the printer from the slicer interface program ever. I have an LCD controller installed. Load code to SD card, put SD card into LCD, and hit print.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I agree with this. Any little USB glitch you can get from USB can completely ruin a print. There is a reason Robo started adding an sd card slot and most big name printers come with a slot as well.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like cura a lot. I have access to most of the slicers out there (S3D, KISSlicer, etc)

Cura's really simple to use and tweaking settings is easy and quick. Automatically reslices when you make a change so there's no need for profiles or saving.

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to save a particular settings... setup... for a particular material so that you can quickly load it again? Or do you just have to write everything down (assuming you don't try to setup a process file in S3D that mimics it once you figure it out in Cura or whatever)?

8. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

You can save profiles

Mike Kelly likes this.
  9. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Can't speak for Simplify3d.. But as far as free slicers go I've been really happy with Slic3r. And with each release I'm finding it handles less desirable geometry from software like Blender3d better. I tend to jump between the beta releases and the stable release depending on the model and the complexity.

Only thing I dislike about Slic3r is the support feature. It seriously screws up the surface of more organic models making it much more time and effort to clean them up.

If I printed more I'd look into Simplify3d as it seems to have more intelligent supports. As it is I tend to print parts at best every other month at this point.

10. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Thanks guys. I've actually been thinking about buying simplify3d so I'm glad it was brought up. Looks like I'll be taking the dive tonight

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you can afford it I consider it one of the best investments after getting the printer. I only wish it were cheaper.
    At least you get active/alive support...

12. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

So I purchased s3d last night and been playin with it today. I was happy when I bought my robo3d but this program has made me fall in love with it. What a great product. Such better quality, way faster and way more user friendly. Thanks for all the advise. Money well spent

13. daniel871

Any idea on how to rotate a part on the y/z axis in S3D? have a wine glass I want to print but S3D brings it in on its side.

Cura will let me rotate that way, so I'm hoping there is a function I'm missing somewhere.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. BrianFraz

BrianFraz Member

I have yet to hear of anyone say any different. From the moment I got S3D everything else felt inferior. Which means I haven't really used anything else in a long time though.

We got a Makerbot Replicator 2x at work, the software for that is just horrible IMO. It felt like there was so little control that I had to slice models with my copy of S3D to get good surface finishes. I feel like S3D has just given me the freedom to fix the problems I find when printing :)

16. JennBarth

JennBarth New Member

Slic3r and Cure are the best.

17. daniel871

Slic3r has come a long way since the last post in this thread before yours (2015), but Cura isn't quite there yet and Simplify3D still slightly edges out over Slic3r for any printer not a Prusa MK2 (where you use the specific fork of Slic3r Prusa Printers keeps updated for that printer).

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@daniel871 and others, Prusa has two slicers that are both based on technology provided by Slic3r. The PE (Prusa Edition) version is the multi-printer variant. The newer PrusaControl is currently specific to Prusa printers but the slicing engine is still the same as used in Slic3r PE.

Geof likes this.
  19. barisahmet

barisahmet New Member

As a newbie, I am using Simplify3D. My prints have improved dramatically. Default settings of S3D is far better than matter control in my experience.

20. Sheila Griffith

Sheila Griffith New Member

As a newbie who's getting extremely frustrated with prints that won't stick or prints that finally stick so well you have to break them to get them off the plate, i'm toying with doing some type of spending. My question to you all is do you think buying something like simplify 3d would help with this at all or do you think i'm better off investing in a better or modifying the print bed by installing a heated boriscillate type bed for my Robo3d C2?

Thanks.