1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Bed is kind of fiddly...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jscottb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jscottb

jscottb Member

Hello,

I have had my R2 for a few weeks now and really like it a lot. It prints great. But...

The bed needs leveling just about every print. I ditched the auto level and zed offset in place of the guided level, as it seemed to no level good every time. Now to level it via the guided tour route does not take a lot of time, but the way the bed is mounted causes the level to shift very easily. I'm sure this is from taking parts off the bed (I try not to remove the bed at all when ever I can) On my I3 clone, I can run with the same level usually for 4-5 prints. It does have a fixed bed though. I also have a tricky back left corner. When adjusting it, there is a point where it goes "wonky" and I have to back it off to get it to stay in the place I want it. It's kind of hard to explain.

Now, when I level it, it prints great as I said, and I can print pretty fast with very good results. This is not keeping me from loving the printer, but just a slight pain. No FFF printer is perfect I know.

Also, the bed surface is so easy to mare and scratch. I only used the supplied (why?) metal scraper once.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might consider @WheresWaldo version of the updated Marlin source and using MESH leveling or Unified Bed Leveling (UBL) rather than the default Automatic Bed Leveling (ABL)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PEI really does not want a metal tool to remove prints... they should have caught that :)

4. jscottb

jscottb Member

I think it comes down to a marginal design, or at the very least a rushed one. The Pogo pins may be adding some to the issue. Those springs may add to the goofiness as they heat up and cool down.

Thanks, I may look later at the firmware.

5. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

I've had my R2 since June and take off the bed almost every time to remove the print. My bed has been very repeatable. One thing I noticed when I received the printer was that the bed spring adjustments were pretty lose. I tightened them enough so they had plenty of tension, but still had room to compress. I did the four corner manual leveling process via the spring nuts, then the Z-offset, then the fine tune offset. I get great first layers every time.

supercazzola and Geof like this.
  6. jscottb

jscottb Member

Yeah, I said it did level fine and prints great, it just loses level easily. Again, it's not a huge issue to level before a print, just a nuisance :)

7. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Could be a thing if the screws aren't tight enough indeed and there's too much room for wobbling around.

Ed Ferguson and Geof like this.
  8. Ed Ferguson

Yes - and my point of posting is that there must be a reason you need to re-level frequently, because that is not the norm with this printer. The first place I would look, as Kilrah noted above, is the tension of the bed screws. If loose, the bed will level mechanically, but not remain level.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In fact ditching the auto-leveling and manual leveling should be a one-time pain. It should not move around afterward :)

10. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

My bed is fine when I remove it, but if I take my glass plate off then I am not able to level it all. Those darn pogo pins just won't give up, and I am hitting 600+ hours of printing already. I was hoping the springs would get weaker and stop pushing that corner of the bed up. First machine was fine and I could level it in my sleep, so not fully sure what is up with this one. I can't really see anything different with the plastic frame, I did have to more the wire loom as that was not helping either.

Edit: What I am still fighting is slight play in the bed on the X and Y. Just the force of the nozzle moving across the print can shift the bed.

11. Ed Ferguson

You must have gotten some weaker bed magnets on the second printer.

Just for fun I turned my bed upside down and pressed on the rear. The 6 pogo pins are strong enough to lift the weight of the bed. But when the bed is attached the normal way using the magnets, I have no flex on the rear.

jwmueller likes this.
  12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

They were going to send me a new bed, and stupid me I said that I was ok with the glass helping. LOL

13. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

My R2 requires occasional z-offset adjustment,, but not re-leveling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Call them back and say you would in fact like a replacement
    :D Its ok to change your mind, get it while under warranty.

15. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Anybody notice that the bed does not hold the leveling screw bolt head and allows it to rotate in the bed? I saw this several weeks ago but forgot about until I saw this thread. I had notice turning the leveling screws seem to slip. This is due to a wrong size bolt head or bed mold design problem. I need to send this to Robo but I do not expect them to fix it soon.

Attached Files:

16. jscottb

jscottb Member

This may be my problem. I will have a look, thanks.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. Havent had time to pull it apart and find correct screws and thumb knobs but its only my list. I very seldom (only if i screw with stuff) have to relevel the bed. Dont know that it would be a huge issues to leave it if you can adjust it, but not a bad idea to put the right size in (keep it mind it may be some inbetween size and what looks wrong may just be part of the design).

@jscottb I finally got around to checking mine out to try and fix it- I took the bed off, removed the adjuster plate. Tightened the magnets down (phillips head with I think an 8mm socket on it) put it all back togather and mine is no longer fiddly (back right corner was always springy). May be worth giving it a shot.