1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Totally Dead/Fried Printer?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Adam Laird, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

I knew I didn't have enough filament to finish my print, but there wasn't enough to bother stopping the print and save it so I let my R2 run overnight figuring that I could just cancel it from the pause screen this morning. I came down stairs to see that my printer was totally dead. The power strip was on, the power supply is lit up, the switch on the back is in the on position, but the printer itself was frozen, and the screen was black (like it is when it's totally shut down.)

The filament spool was jammed up against the run out detector because the filament didn't release like it was supposed to, but I've seen it do that many times and it hasn't totally shut the printer down before. I got the spool off and then tried flipping the power switch a couple times. Nothing. I unplugged the power supply, let it power down, and then plugged it back in. Nothing changed on the printer. I did notice that the power supply was making a higher pitched whine than normal after I plugged it back in. Has anyone had an issue like this before?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Open the bottom cover. If the bed is in the way just spin the Z axis by hand until you can remove the door. When you flip the power switch to on do you see any LEDs light up? There should be a solid green one on the Robo board and a quick blink of red then blinking green on the rPi. Check the 15A and 7.5A fuses (they are older automotive spade types (the wide ones not the mini ones). Report back!

3. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

There is a blue light on the robo board (sorry the pictures so dark) but that’s all I’m getting. And as far as I can tell the fuses look intact.

The high pitched whine the power supply is putting out gets a little higher when the power switch is on.

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like no power to the Raspberry Pi (the small board to the left of the one in the picture).
    It should have lights on it too.

5. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I'd pull the fuses on the Robo board one at a time to verify that they're not blown (with power off, obviously).

I designed an external spool holder because I've seen that original problem of cross-linked filament too many times to count.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am wondering just how many iterations this board has gone though. The flash kind of drowns it out but you should be able to see 2 green led lamps in the upper right corner. That is also where the fuses are located. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

7. OutsourcedGuru

There's way too much free space inside the bottom of your R2. It wants upgrades.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have one mod installed, can't you see the orange cylinder holding up the bottom of the Z axis stepper?

Everytime I open it up I roll my eyes at the fan, there are no vents in the bottom so all it does is move around the same air. Zero cooling as ICs are not affected by windchill like us animals are.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo the printed part just a support for the motor ? Notice any change ?

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I haven't printed anything since putting it in place.

11. OutsourcedGuru

I noticed the neon orange pillar and imagined that this wasn't stock. I have to assume that it's to stabilize the Z stepper.

You're right on the fan and I'm sure it's worse for the C2 since everything's a little cramped in there. I suppose the most obvious exhaust would be through the trap door. Honestly, the Raspi can operate in a fair range so I don't think I'd worry about that one. The Robo board in my mind would be the one to melt down. In fact, you could probably tweak the processor speed to no ill effect.

12. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

It lives! The 7.5 amp fuse was fried. Thank you for all the help!

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We have not had any heat related issues with the C2. Could happen I suppose

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

14. jscottb

jscottb Member

It's nice to know that it was fused and that it worked!

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been running the crap out of the R2 and havent noticed any issues with heat in the chamber either. 20 hr prints x 6 back to back. (the printer is still running 12+ hour prints back to back with no heat up issues in the control board yet).

Noticed a bunch of other small things, but not electronics overheating related.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. OutsourcedGuru

@jscottb Glad to see that it was a quick fix.

Anyone interested in the temperature downstairs:

I've got some code to show the Raspi's temperature (since that's a built-in function). It's the internal temperature of the CPU but that's usually 11 degrees Fahrenheit above ambient from extended experience with this. You could run the printer for a few hours and then query the temperature.

Or if you're more hard-core than that:

$ ssh pi@my-c2.local # pw = raspberry
    $ sudo cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

That's the CPU's temperature in Celsius. Do the standard conversion for Fahrenheit. This will be about 6 degrees Celsius hotter than ambient.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I tend to go with is it:
    broken? (no) leave alone (yes) add cooling.

They are simple machines, no need to over complicate ;)

18. OutsourcedGuru

"They are simple machines, no need to over complicate...", said no maker ever.

ha

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you say so :D

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ed Ferguson and Geof like this.