1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z Jams over USB not LCD using BL Touch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Savan12986, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

Hi I've recently installed the BL Touch and as such I had to update the firmware to accommodate it. The issue I'm having is that I can control the Z axis with no issue via the lcd controller but not via usb. The motors spin briefly then "jam" it sounds like they are skipping steps, but there are no physical obstructions.

The even weirder part is that the auto home in the lcd exhibits the same behavior, but moving the Z alone works fine.

I assume something is messed up in the firmware, but I'm unsure of what could be wrong other than the Z steps which I wouldn't expect to cause this.

I have a short video of the issue here:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Havent done a BL touch upgrade to any of my Robos, still use the mechanical switches under the carriage in the R1/R1+ models. I'm assuming it has something to do with your firmware changes but have no idea what. If the stepper driver was causing the issue it would do it on z travel as well as homing. Something with your homing in your firmware is wrong.

3. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

Thats a good point, I agree that it must be something with the firmware. I didnt do anything with the homing (that I'm aware of). If it were only during homing I'd have a better idea, but it does it with g0 commands as well.

4. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I've solved the homing issue. It wasnt one of the changes I was making in the firmware, but it was the wrong firmware to begin with. I didnt realize the R1 and Beta units used different firmware. (I thought the only difference was the threaded rods and auto level support). But when I switched to the Beta firmware the homing functionality was fixed. (I'm still having issues with the BL, but thats a separate issue. I think it may be a defective unit)

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, the beta homed backwards (essentially) compared to the later ones. When they went to autoleveling (R1 and R1+) the switches went from NO to NC.

Geof likes this.
  6. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

Also for posterity, incise anyone else get a BL touch and the m280 p0 s10 command does nothing, the servo voltage isnt enough with the base ramps board. You need to put a jumper on the 5v to vcc pins next to the reset button