1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's new on Robo's GITHUB

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 31, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I follow it off and on and today noticed that in their Marlin GITHUB repository, Robo appears to have a branch of Marlin 1.1.6. There isn't any changes from the default Marlin source as far as I can tell but I am sure it is coming. I do hope that every line they change is at the very least designated as changed with some sort of comment. https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/tree/RC/Marlin

There has been some work in the last few days on the Updater script. Nothing substantial, more under the hood and a new way of verifying if an section is updated during the update process.

Preliminary work on Cura 3 profiles in their Slicing-Profiles repository https://github.com/Robo3D/Slicing-Profiles/tree/cura-3-dev/Cura 3

If anyone spots anything else new please update this thread.

#1 WheresWaldo, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Looks like victorevector created a branch 30 minutes ago in Update_Script. Maybe they're trying to fix the Update-of-Death.

r2-dev

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You will find that they do a lot of stuff then revert it all back when they find out it doesn't work like they expected. I think they tend to be better at hardware than software.

danzca6 likes this.
  4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

They'd be better off cutting you a check for your already-done work on the firmware side of things and adopting it.

nytcrawlr likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

danzca6 likes this.
  6. OutsourcedGuru

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not an issue, they are not using OctoPi 0.12

8. OutsourcedGuru

I guess what I'm saying is that Robo's forked OctoPrint/OctoPi and changed the update vector for all this and yet for some reason is keeping OctoPrint's newsfeed feature, potentially causing unnecessary concern for new users.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

OG, I have complained about how the whole µSD was assembled, it could be so much cleaner than it is. They could eliminate OctoPi completely, they could install things in the default sub-directories, they could eliminate a few of the default addons (especially the one that spies), they could minimize their dependencies. Will it ever happen, I highly doubt it. I made an attempt at cleaning it all up but since I now nothing of Python programming I couldn't really fix a few things that needed fixing.

10. OutsourcedGuru

Allen and Coby know this since I've wagged a finger at both and it's on their plan for things to work on. What's on the image now appears to be a clone of whoever (Coby, maybe) was originally making these multi-attempts to get something to work. My style is to always keep a developer's log of what code went into the image and then start over from a vanilla image, add from the developer's log the dependencies the things actually required and then go from there. I've been distributing software packages for decades now so it's just in my blood, so to speak.

Honestly, I could actually fork and then clean up the image since I'm under-employed at the moment (lost the pharma job a few weeks ago). Picked up just enough hours to comfortably pay the rent so I'm being hella productive lately on hobbies.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There is now a beta branch that is Marlin 1.1.6

12. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Interesting....why not just take your R2 version of the 1.1.6 and be done?

Also, I didn't realize they had their own fork of Cura. Makes sense since they have a Robo branded version of 2.5. Explains why some of the settings worked wonky compared to the real 2.5 install I was trying to help someone with the other week. They should really change to 3.0.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not really software people.

mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Looks like Robo is readying a new version of the firmware
    https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/tree/r2-dev

Still think there is a bunch of unnecessary changes in their code. Why they keep changing CONFIGURATION_H_VERSION eludes me. Why they insist on using BAUDRATE 115200, instead of 250000. Still appears to use too high a DEFAULT_ACCELERATION of 1000 and too high a DEFAULT_XYJERK of 10.0. Changed short version to 1.1.8 even though it is 1.1.0 of Marlin.

A good thing is that they are changing the bed size to 197 x 197 mm.

They removed all the extra pins_ files even though all that does is save disk space since none of that code is compiled into the binary if not selected. Only one BOARD type can be selected.

Honestly, the only difference for R2 users appears to be adding 1 mm in both X and Y axes. Much ado about nothing.

15. OutsourcedGuru

:laugh: You should see how close to the edge I now print. It threatens to run off the BuildTak (and no rafts, fortunately).

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So yesterday they decided to renumber it again and call Marlin 1.1.0RC8 Robo3D/Marlin 1.1.9 beta and then decided to use my numbers for acceleration and maximum acceleration. At least there is an additional comment on the commit suggesting the values came from the R2 forum. This was committed at between 2 and 3 AM PST, so obviously someone is burning the midnight oil.

Needless to say I won't be upgrading to RoboMarlin 1.1.9 since it is still six releases behind real Marlin (1.1.6).

#16 WheresWaldo, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it will work on the C2 :)
    They were a bit flabbergasted (if one can be a *bit* flabbergasted) that I even went dual extrusion on the C2.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Check out this file https://github.com/Robo3D/Dual_Extr...truder_Setup/Octo_Setup/default_profiles.yaml

Apparently this is all done on the OctoPrint side and may appear to editable on the C2. Might need more sleuthing.

Don't know why this is, but their R2 Dual config appears to lose 46 mm of build space.

Of course this is a first post just within hours of posting.

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a bit of space lost on the C2 as well just due to the layout of 2 extruders (and the spacing). I forget how much exactly.
    It is worth noting that the actual physical constraints on what *could* be used vary based on which extruder is positioned where with respect to the build platform. I assume the slicer just takes a worst case approach :)

I'll dig through that config though and hack it up for the C2 as well.
    Thanks.