1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First layer issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ogbo14, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ogbo14

Ogbo14 New Member

I am noticing this on my first layers. What could be causing this.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. jscottb

jscottb Member

Looks like you don't have a good solid bed level. Are you leveling via the auto level (m29) or manually?

If you are doing it via the auto level, then I would go to the Z calibration menu and print lines and adjust until it sticks.

Also be sure to let your bed pre-heat before any prints. I let mine heat to 65 for PLA for @5-10 mins and then drop it to 50-55 during the print.

3. Ogbo14

Ogbo14 New Member

It is auto leveling and I have done the bed calibration correctly but when I do the fine z offset the line quality from left to right are very different. As it move right the line gets squished.

4. jscottb

jscottb Member

I would try the guided level next and get the leveling paper to have a little "snap" when placing/pulling it under the nozzle. You may want to do this and go into the octo startup script and comment the M29. The bed may be way out of level and need to be manual adjusted a bit. The guided lvl should help with that.

Once you get the problem sorted, you will want to have the lvling paper just tug a bit under the nozzle.

I will also say, that I use glue stick on my R2 bed. This gives be a lot better first layer sticks.

5. Ogbo14

Ogbo14 New Member

Could it be bent rods?

jwmueller likes this.
  6. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Similar to how mine looked before I replaced the rods, after that my layer lines were great. Rods are easy to check. Center the extruder by hand with the steppers off. Slowly move one axis and watch the end of the gantry, you should also be able to feel it with your hands as you push the extruder. The bent rods will produce an interesting pattern on the first layer, some lines will be really squished down while others almost are air printing.

7. Ogbo14

Ogbo14 New Member

Yep. It is bent rods. I can feel the extruder move up and down on the y axis

8. Ogbo14

Ogbo14 New Member

How difficult is it to change the rods?

9. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

It is not bad to be honest. The upper gantry molded plastic is only held on be a few screws, so you take those and the wire harness off. Then it pulls right off without much effort. The align the new rods you use the plastic clips that Robo had connected to the machine for transport.

The worst part is just stretching the belts as you try to get the new rods into the bearing holes. Call Robo for sure, make them make it right. If shipping is bad in your area ask them to just send the rods and some free PLA. ;)

EDIT: I think shipping is really hard on these type of machines where the extruder assembly can be above the printer. I have had bent rods in my area on any machine that sticks above the printer case.

#9 jwmueller, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.