1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Monoprice Maker Select Mini Delta.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by daniel871, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

lol ;) Depends on the day for me, sometimes I'm best off cursing at it lol!

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Ok, well, on another "eliminate another potential issue" based on seeing a few posts in their community about having to run at oddly high temps for various filaments, I've been bumping temps up and running 300mm extrude commands to trigger skipped step failures to see if the hotend just has to run hotter to run "properly".

When I bumped up to 245C the extruder was happily chugging away where lower temps were giving skipped steps, but this time I got a "Temperature drop error: System stopped" response in the terminal in S3D at about 250mm through the 300mm extrude command.

Huh?

Running PID tuning for 250C with the fan blowing 100% now and saving the results in EEPROM and testing again.

EDIT: Testing extrusion runs fine, but actual printing still has it stalling out shortly into the beginning of a program (same as original issue).

This is a dumb issue in an otherwise really nice mini printer build. Bugging them for documentation on how to adjust the stepper driver current.

#62 daniel871, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

4. daniel871

$150.

I probably should mention that I'm not anywhere near as upset over this issue as I would be with a more expensive machine. But it is still aggravating.

EDIT: You (or someone else that doesn't have S3D yet) should get that, as the shipping from Chicago to where I live isn't really that great a deal on top of what they are asking, plus I already have S3D and have no use for additional licenses.

Geof likes this.
  5. daniel871

Apparently, it's possible to port Marlin over to the Mini V1 with Atom.io and the PlatformIO plugin/extension/whatever and the files in this Github https://github.com/xC0000005/M200Toolchain

But to check things in the other direction I need to get the firmware.bin file for the delta. Hm....

Or get my hands on some correct boards/pins/etc. definitions for the board used by the printer.

These files look interesting:

https://github.com/xC0000005/M200To...uinoVariantDefintion/malyanM200/board/board.h

https://github.com/xC0000005/M200Toolchain/tree/master/STM32duinoVariantDefintion/malyanM200/wirish

https://github.com/xC0000005/M200To...M32duinoVariantDefintion/malyanM200/variant.h

But I haven't touched Arduino.cc in so long I'm not certain of the best way to implement them into current Marlin while converting things over to the Delta configuration files and adjusting them for the build area/etc. of the Delta.

6. daniel871

Welp, so much for gleaning anything from the stock firmware.bin file. Getting it open in an editor that can correctly display the language in it reveals that the entire file is in localized Chinese unicode (which I have no hope of translating>editing>translating back properly).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you could get the firmware source you might have a shot.
    You might be better off with Marlin... or, now that I think of it, Repetier firmware.
    That is what we are using on our delta...

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  8. daniel871

Getting the correct pinout to define the reference files Marlin/Repetier need for an STM32F103C control board (what is used in the delta) is the biggest hurdle there if I'm wanting to do it without buying more hardware. Also the bits of info needed to correctly define the LCD controller used.

The wiki for Malyan (the OEM for the M200/Mini Select V2, which has the same board as the Delta) talks about using stk500v1 as your programmer if attempting custom firmware uploads because avrdude bugs out, but they aren't going to offer any support further than that for it because they don't want to deal with a bunch of people tinkering with their own firmware.

9. nytcrawlr

nytcrawlr New Member

Just an FYI, Monoprice has mini deltas in stock for $159.99, just snagged myself one a bit ago.

10. nytcrawlr

nytcrawlr New Member

And nvm it's out of stock!

11. daniel871

Okay, so a follow-up post for my adventures in putting an open-source board into the Mini Delta due to the Monoprice boards I've been given repeatedly failing to drive the extruder motor (when testing on another machine shows that the steppers do indeed function).

I've flashed Marlin to my spare board (MKS Gen 1.4 to keep things simple), everything except the bed sensors and wires for the heaters/power supply swapped straight over to the spare board (same plugs for all steppers, same plugs for the thermistors, same plugs for the Max endstops, but the bed sensors used a much smaller two-wire connection than the 3-wire endstop plug-ins on the board).

I'm opting to manually probe the bed mesh and save it using the S3D control panel (until I get around to bringing a Raspberry Pi to work and plugging an Octopi installation into it), but I'm having an issue where the printer is not responding to the S3D control panel after the initial "Connect" and EEPROM readout.

This is what I get:

Then I disconnect.

Hm...

The temperature readouts coming from the machine are staying at 0-degrees, so I'm thinking the thermistor type from the support group where I asked what thermistors were used was incorrect (Type 11 for both).

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Here are my Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h files if any Marlin wizards want to look it over for an obvious mistake that compiling wouldn't catch (only Configuration.h was edited, but you need both it and _adv for it to compile for a delta correctly).

EDIT 2: I also forked Marlin to keep a repository of my edits so I can share it with the small community of owners if I ever get the kinks ironed out.

https://github.com/daniel871/Marlin-for-Monoprice-Mini-Delta-and-Ramps-compatible-boards

Attached Files:

#71 daniel871, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    danzca6 likes this.
  12. TheOncomingPrint

TheOncomingPrint New Member

Hey other Mini Delta owners, I am hoping you might be able to help me with my delta making a "jackhammering" noise when it starts to the print process. I have a video but I am not able to upload it and I can't include a link as I am a newbie to the forum (and to 3D printing in general)

I have tried contacting mono price support multiple times but have not received a response in almost two weeks. Googling has not revealed any useful tips, likely because the printer is so new.

So here is what is happening. I use the control panel to tell the printer head to return to its top/home position, then I select the built in demo file to print. When the head starts moving as part of what looks like a calibration phase it starts to make a jackhammering sound for a few seconds. After the sound stops and the printer seems ready to print it goes about half way down the print column and starts printing. At no point did I see it try auto leveling as part of the print process.

Up until this started happening it was printing fine and I have about 20-30 good prints out of it. I think the problem is that it lost power during a print and then the head got manually pushed to the top when the device was still off. So some sort of internal tracking is off.

I was hoping that the printer would be able to recalibrate after the head was moved but I have not found any way to do this.

What else can I tell you?

Thanks for the help!

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe @daniel871 is the only user here that has one

14. daniel871

See the OP of the thread and the link to the Wiki for the printer.

The issue you're describing sounds like an issue where the filament path would sometimes get caught between one of the posts and the endstop, preventing the printer from homing.

Bad firmware code means the printer will eventually give up and just continue on as though homing/leveling has happened (presumably using leveling data from the last successful probing of the bed).

The most common fix is to manually move the carriage down to the build plate and tape the filament path against the ceiling of the build area in the center of said area with duct/HVAC tape.

If the noise continues after doing that then one of the endstop sensors is actually bad and needs to be replaced, so RMA the printer.

Again, see my OP in this thread and check the Wiki for any troubleshooting issues.

15. TheOncomingPrint

TheOncomingPrint New Member

Thanks for the reply. I checked the filament path and it is looking unencumbered. I finally heard back from Monoprice and they are going to RMA the printer. I'll update when I know more.