1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Like listening to nails on a chalkboard...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hanover, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Hanover

Hanover Member

I've tried squaring up the gantry and cleaning and oiling the bearings and rods, and nothing will get rid of the horrible grinding/squeaking noise as the extruder moves along the Y axis. It got worse after taking it apart, cleaning it, oiling it, fixing the clicking problem by putting the PLA spacers in it and squaring it up again.

I dont really understand how their method of squaring things up is really doing much. You loosen up the pulleys, put the braces on, make sure the pulleys are all the way against the side (which they were already), then you have to take off the braces to tighten the screws because the screws aren't in a position with the braces on to tighten them. I just don't get how that's squaring up anything.

I am now dreading having to print anything on this printer anymore. I'm at the point where I'm about to cut my losses and go get another printer to replace it. I should have returned it to Amazon permanently when I had the chance.

Listen to this wonderful noise:

I cant use this at night anymore because this woke someone upstairs.

#1 Hanover, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

well my thats pretty outstandingly awful. Unfortunantly I cant help much with a video as I cant see or lay hands on whats making the noise but that sounds like some pretty terrible bearings or something is rubbing.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You should be working with Robo under warranty at least...
    That is noisier than normal...

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you cannot run your machine unless its daylight that is unacceptable. Get them on the phone to get you a working unit.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Hanover

Hanover Member

I already tried sending this to support. I clearly explain that this started after I followed their guide to fix the clicking noise...and that I've already tried taking the rods and bearings out, cleaning and oiling everything and squaring the gantry.

He replies back with the link to the guide about how to fix the clicking noise and if I've tried that yet.

o_O

:mad:

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Short answer should work then :)

7. Hanover

Hanover Member

Just send me new bearings already. :) I know that's next...

8. Hanover

Hanover Member

...and the bearings are on their way. Wish I knew a place in Atlanta where I could buy 6mm linear motion bearings.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

McMaster-Carr maybe, they have a will call in Atlanta. When I order from them in Charlotte most orders ship from Atlanta.

10. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I had that same noise from my carriage bearings until I got everything squared up. You should be able to find a corner where you can access a screw with the orange retainers attached.

I loosen both screws per pulley. I usually have access to one of them to tighten during alignment.

When you have your gantry apart to replace the bearings, pay special attention to the position of your pulleys. You should be able to align the screws up..... with the orange gantry clips in place..... while everything is still loose.

Hanover likes this.
  11. Hanover

Hanover Member

I installed the new bearings today and everything is back to quiet again. I re-imaged the SD card and started completely over while I was at it. I'll be happy if I don't have to remove the extruder for awhile.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.