1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tip for Fusion 360 users

Discussion in 'Software' started by WheresWaldo, Nov 11, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You can send your STL files directly to your slicer from Fusion 360. No need for an application or a script. to enable load any model in Fusion 360 then select to Save As STL. A dialog box will pop up where you can usually set resolution and such. In the section that says Output (you may need to open it by clicking on the little triangle next to the name) check the box next to Send to 3D Print Utility. In the drop down list next to the Print Utility selection drop the list down and select Custom. Next to the Application selection you will see an icon that represents a folder. Click on that folder and a regular Windows file selector will appear. Navigate to where you installed your slicing software and highlight the application by right clicking and click on Select. Now back in Fusion 360 when you hit OK it will open the slicer of choice and the model will already be there ready for slicing.

This currently works with:
    • Cura 2.x and 3.x
    • Simplify3D 4.x
    • Slic3r Prusa Edition
    I could not get Matter Control to open the model
    automatically
    . MatterControl opens but the model is not loaded.

#1 WheresWaldo, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    supercazzola likes this.
  2. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Matter Control might not have created all the registry settings to allow it to open the selected file like this. Maybe just hacking the registry is required.

Usually there are defined verbs (as described here) and are found under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications. The shell.open command is the one it would need, assuming that you could launch something like this from a command shell:

Code:
    c:\> mattercontrol.exe myfilename
    Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 11.42.32 AM.png

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Since I am not a MatterControl user nor caring about its use in any way, I will let others figure out how to make this feature work with MatterControl.

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That

supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

That's a nice tip! Thanks so much:)

I'm using Fusion 360 and S3D on a Mac (and occasionally a Windows 7 laptop).

I was using MatterControl because it came with my R1+ and I was new at this. I got an R2 and a friend told me to try S3D. Wow, so much better.....

mark tomlinson likes this.