1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's new on Robo's GITHUB

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 31, 2017.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

It would be cool to see someone add the Prometheus System (or similar) to an R2/C2. Then still just one nozzle. With the open top, probably an easier retrofit than the R1/R1+ machines.

Kilrah likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The managing director of Robo and Eric at Distech have been introduced as I thought similar Danz :D. Will see if it works out. The real problem child there is the promethius system is designed to be dual bowden, the R2 doesn't really allow for that without some serious modifications :D Would be killer to see just the promethius V2 on the R2 (which I have grand plans of doing soonish) since all that the fan shroud needs is a couple mm spacer to drop the fans and IR sensor down a bit :D

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Eh, you could convert the R2 to bowden easier than the R1 honestly.
    Mounting the steppers / extruders is the only ugly part. The second extruder is already fully configured for bowden and a little tweaking would fix the primary one. It would be a project for sure, but not hideous.

P.S. Not sure what it buys you though :)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats the part that would be...less than desireable. lol. The 2nd ext. no problem, first ext? uhm.....eeek lol

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, it would look like my second extruder on the C2 ... a tumor on the back of the case :)

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL! :D :p

7. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

That’s where I’m repurposing the pass-through as a mount for the stepper.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

New stuff over the past couple of days, looks like the next version of the firmware may be based on Marlin 1.1.6, still using the old LINEAR auto-leveling.

Something changed in OctoPrint-robotheme but I can't find it.

Added some code to both the Marlin firmware and roboOctoprint to account for changing ambient light levels when doing auto-leveling. JMHO, if they would just look at MESH or UBL none of this extra code would be necessary.

That's about it for now.

9. OutsourcedGuru

I mentioned to Allen that I had some doubts as to the balancing of ambient light on the nine sample points of the G29 autoleveling, as abused by the strands of LED lights up front. If it were me, I'd programmatically turn off the light show while doing a G29 to make sure that you're not skewing the results.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I already gave my opinion on the code, useless and wholly unnecessary.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay I read the code added by Robo to Marlin's G35 command (the ambient light code). It doesn't actually read the ambient light it just sets Z_OFFSET to zero and then redoes the Z_OFFSET. They actually paid someone to write that code. Be very careful what you ask for or else you will get crap like this. They then added a G36 command that basically does the same thing only it doesn't home before resetting the Z_OFFSET.

The only way for this to actually work would require that the G35 command appear in the start up code of every print, so I am sure they will add this crap to the OctoPrint Execute Before Print Starts script position.

12. OutsourcedGuru

13. OutsourcedGuru

I just love how they have the C2 defaulted to a heated bed.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

All Matt appears to be doing is updating the OctoPrint GUI, there will need to be firmware changes for dual extrusion to work.

I have to keep reminding myself, Hardware guys writing software!

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

FTFY

WheresWaldo likes this.
  16. OutsourcedGuru

FTFYB

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Monkeys banging on keyboards would probably come up with something better implemented at this point.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Recent changes and additions.
    1. Some progress is being made on the Dual_Extruder_Setup. Interface has been refined, and some sort of progress indicator has been added.
    2. Added a new repository called access_control, not exactly sure what it does.
    3. New Update_Script will now force FirmwareUpdater, OctoPrint 1.3.3 and MetaReader to update at the same time (from Robo's GITHUB). Some cosmetic changes to the speed of the progress bar too.
    4. Marlin repository has updated dimensions for the C2 (only +1 mm in both XY). Added the same funky code for the C2 and resetting the home offset using G35/G36.
    5. In roboOctoPrint made OctoPrint Announcements configurable by removing the _important flag.
    6. A few other innocuous changes to other repositories.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

More changes this week
    1. Small tweaks to new Robo exclusive G35/G36 commands in Marlin
    2. Addition to the README.md for Robo/Marlin
    3. Added the ability to see .hex files roboOctoprint
    4. Some housekeeping done on cura-build
    5. A new OctoPrint plugin was created to ensure that your printer does not initialize itself with as a hotspot, hotspot_off
    6. most other changes in the last couple weeks are to reverse previous code changes that may have had unexpected results

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

A few more changes to the future version of Marlin for the R2/C2
    1. There apparently will be a new version of the Robo Mainboard. Do not expect Robo to upgrade any current users, this will likely be a slipstreamed upgrade. If you want a new mainboard, you will have to buy a new machine when they come out. Version appears to be 2.1.8 (current mainboard revision is 2.1.5). That revision seems to add a current shunt monitor (Texas Instruments INA197X). It looks like they are going to use it to monitor the current going to the stepper drivers (Allegro MicroSystems A4988). This firmware appears to be modified so that it will work on all versions of the Robo Mainboard.
    2. A bit more tweaking to their new G-Code to set Z Offset during homing and leveling (G35)
    3. It appears that Robo is finally keeping their version numbers in line with Marlin developers. They have named this version "Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.0". At the very least we will now know what version of Marlin was used as a base.
    4. Added code for controlling the case lights on pin D5. Pin D5 is labeled as FAN2 and is used for the current case lights. This will make future light mods easier as you can just tap into the two existing case lights to add more and still be controlled by G-Code M355. Pin D5 is also a hardware PWM pin so you will be able to change the brightness level with the same M355 G-Code.
    A few changes to roboOctoPrint. Although a new name has shown up in the Merge commits (Peri Smith), the code contributions seem to be limited to Matt Pedler and Victor Fimbres. Head of Engineering is Allen McAfee.

#40 WheresWaldo, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    OutsourcedGuru likes this.