1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Help! Prints suddenly brittle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BronStoppable, Nov 6, 2017.

1. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

So I’m new to having my Robo R1 plus and slowly getting the hang of it. I’ve been able to print small things 8 times out of 10. Last week i was printing a secret shelf off thing and things turned for the worst. One part came out fine. I took it off the bed, clicked to print the second part and that print came out flimsy and looking unfinished with a weird like nutterbutter texture. Since then all my prints have been doing it and i can’t figure out why. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@BronStoppable looks like a partial jam? What material and settings? all the links mark has above are awesome and suggest bookmarking them. They make a good read.

4. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Pla
    temp 210/ bed 60..
    I used glue stick or painters tape.

I'll defiantly check them out. It started out of no where so it kind of threw me off.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you have some conola oil in your kitchen put some on a paper towel. Remove the filament from your hotend, run the paper towel with conola oil around the filament (you'll see the filament get a sheen of the conola oil on it) and reinsert and run a few hundred mm through the extruder. This will season the hotend. Without changing anything else try your print again. PLA loves to microclog and adding an oiler really does help :D but this will tell you if its that or something else

6. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

I have a oilier clipped on the filament right before it goes into the extruder. I actually think based on what I've read its under extruding but I could be wrong. Like I said it literally happened between one print finishing and another starting right away. The issue is I don't understand most of the fixes since there's so many variables lol

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont mean to sound like a butt, but is there oil in it? lol.

I often run out of oil and dont know. It does sound to me like a partial jam. few methods for fixing it.

Cold pull. heat up your machine. let the filament cool down to 150-160. Pull the filament out. The end of the filament will be in the shape of the nozzle and have a bunch of guck on it. If it comes out super easy, cool down more. If you feel like your going to break something heat up a bit more. :D. I normally do this with nylon but can be done with pretty much anything. You'll need to repeat a few times to totally clean it.

The other option is to remove the nozzle and use a small butane torch to burn out the jam (I do this often, likely more often than the cold pull on the Robo printers).

As with everything, take your time. Dont want to to rush and break something.

8. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

lol yea I usually put a few drops of oil in it before I print. But i will try both the things you said, thank you again

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

your welcome, let us know how it goes. While your in there the hobbled bolt may need cleaned if its stripped the filament and clogged up the teeth :D