1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Stops Randomly Mid Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CarAudioFab, Nov 16, 2017.

1. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

I am currently printing by exporting tool paths from Simplify3D to the Robo provided USB stick and then printing off of that.

I am finding that the R2 is seemingly randomly stopping mid print. I have not been around the printer when it actually stops but I usually come back to the printer with the following conditions:
    • All axis are just stopped. The nozzle is right on top of the part, in other-words no axis has homed it would literally be like if you were printing and pulled the power cord. Dead stop.
    • The R2 screen will just be on the screen that is first seen after booting up (Not the Red robo logo, the "home screen" basically). No notifications, heats off.
    I'm positive this isn't something coming from the slicer as I have been trying to print the same part and the failure occurs at random layer heights. I'm familiar with how you can intentionally stop at a certain layer height in S3D but this functionality is not activated within this part.

Any ideas? I think I will put a camera on it but would like to have something to try if anyone can think of anything. I'm not sure if this is related but when I first got the printer the pi board was not powering on with the power switch. I jiggled the micro USB power wire that runs to the pi and this got it to turn on. I am unable to get the device to intentionally power off via jiggling. Did I inadvertently jiggle something else that may be loose that could lead to complete power loss mid print that I should check?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Look into the OctoPrint logs is about the best approach.

putty over to the Pi and look in: ~/.octoprint/logs/

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is possible that some movement during printing is rebooting the Pi (if the connection is not solid).

4. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

Does OctoPrint store logs even if not using web interface? I haven't touched the web interface yet as I have just been printing off the stick.

5. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

Wait, is this something you can do via the web interface? I'm not familiar with how I would look at the log files at all on the pi

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OctoPrint GUI - top right corner - settings - logs

From that screen you can download or delete the logs

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See the OctoPrint docs for more details on how to use the GUI. It has a lot of features in there

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have no clue how they do the printing from the USB drive via the LCD code. It could be that OctoPrint is involved, or not. If the answer is "or not" then like a standard printer LCD SDCARD printing ... there is nothing you can refer to that will tell you what happened.

9. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

I keep hearing about Octoprint and its settings, but I'll be honest. I have no idea how to access it. Is this something through Cura? The "web interface"? Is the "web interface" Cura? When I go here: https://robo3d.com/pages/software-downloads The only options are Cura and MatterControl. Where do I find this "web interface"

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The web interface is OctoPrint it even says that on the page:

OctoPrint.jpg

11. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

I must completely be missing something. Nowhere in the Robo documentation on their software page does it mention Octoprint or a web interface. How are you getting that page that you screen shot? I found Octoprint via a google search but all the downloads are for actually loading the code to the pi. Where do I actually go for this interface that you screen shot? Is it through a browser?

12. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We need an FAQ thread in this section like we have in the R1 section and those links should be in it (hint: @Geof the R2 guy)

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like Robo has disbanded the secondary forum and points to this one now :D.

I'm the R2 guy? When did that happen? lol. Soon as I get some breathing room I'll get one rolling! Promise :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

1 millisecond after you opened the box :)

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if I put it back in the box ... LOL !

17. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They seem to be struggling with getting the information out there... if only they had a central place people came looking for that sort of help? <shrug>

:)

CarAudioFab likes this.
  19. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

Yes please, I was crawling and searching every last inch of this place and if you hadn't posted these links I don't know if I would have found them. I have no idea where you got them from.