1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone have experience with Palette+ ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John Wohlfeil, Nov 14, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Please note that a second extruder on an R2 will cause a reduction in printable area in the X axis. According to the source code viewable on Robo's GITHUB the reduction for printable area in two colors is 42 mm.

Kilrah and Geof like this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

plus ooze shield or prime pillar space for dual extrusion :D (likely more like 50mm after all that good stuff)

3. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Interesting.

Looks like I'm sticking with the single extruder, since I'm getting good results from my R2.

I may get crazy and try the Palette+ , but I'm not feeling as "inspired" as I was when I first saw the announcement.

Thanks for all the input.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Keep in mind the nice thing about the pallete is if you get frustrated, just remove it lol. Back to your R2. No harm no foul. Not like adding a 2nd extruder where there it is and a hassle to undo. :D dont let us uninspire you. :D

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting. Just looked a bit more closely and I like the tech, initially it looked like it would need to purge the entire long bowden as opposed to the Prometheus that has a small joiner close to the extruder. Just a bit worried about the reliability due to complexity of the splicing system, and potential software/syncing issues...

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the promethius system only needs to clear out the previous color (retracts the filament from ext 1 out of the hotend, inserts ext 2 to the hotend and prime then print).

Your direct drive which is easier with the pallete but you will have issues starting a print/ending a print because you have to feed enough filament at the end to keep the runout sensor happy. From what i understand they have that worked out (Mosaic and Robo) but your are priming every filament swap due to the weld/color blend so lots of waste as well. The purge area would be increased if going from say white to black instead of white to gray :D.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

OK gents. Here is what I've gotten from Robo as well as a ton of photos of physical prints and some documentation. I have asked permission to share the photos and am waiting to hear back but it shows both the print quality of dual colors, how well the machine they are using is set up in the slicer and how much material is used in the purge :D

to start with : instructions from Mosaic on how install on the R2
    https://mosaicmanufacturing.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002798614

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

pictures I was sent from Robo that they have done with the Pallete. As much as I hate to eat words, I'd like to try out the new Pallete+. seems much more advanced and refined than the Pallete I played with. Still stupid hard to do dual extrusion but if using on the R2 they seem to think they and Mosaic have it pretty figured out. Copy of Prints_2xRhombicDodecahedron1of2.jpg Copy of Prints_3FidgetCubes1of2.jpg Copy of Prints_Assorted.JPG Copy of Prints_CitrusCoasters1.jpg Copy of Prints_GuitarPick4.jpg Copy of Prints_KeyCovers.jpg Copy of Prints_StarWars_GONKdroid.jpg Copy of Prints_FidgetCube.jpg

John Wohlfeil and WheresWaldo like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Now! Dont forget! More colors more time printing :D. Regardless of how small you make it!

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Very very nice!
    I'm very tempted even just out of curiosity. Since I'm getting great prints out of my R2 I'd feel comfortable trying it. It's an expensive upgrade though, so I guess my wallet is happy it went out of stock before I got a good look at it...

Are they going to share the multicolor files thesy used as samples?

#31 Kilrah, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  12. nytcrawlr

nytcrawlr New Member

Have had mine sitting on the shelf past few months - got it upgraded to the Plus version, but have not had a chance to test yet, but hoping to make time over the holidays. If you join the Mosaic Manufacturing Facebook group you'll see a lot of prints folks post, and John and Brennan from Mosaic comment in almost every post there and seem to be very helpful with working folks through their issues. Robo could learn a few things from them as far as community participation goes.

Kilrah likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe all the files are free on the various websites. Mosaic probably has links to them somewhere.

Kilrah likes this.
  14. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Indeed, just found that, seems it has most of those models.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/multi-input-prints/things/page:16

From the guide the Robo's runout sensor is bypassed and replaced by the palette+ "metering wheel" that knows exactly what goes through. Purge amount should be minor compared to other solutions as it's much more precise with a welded splice that's basically of a known, short span than retracting a filament then putting another back in when you have no idea how it has elongated or where it stands.

It seems to be the first multicolor solution I really like technically. Had planned the 2nd extruder upgrade when I backed the Robo but that's obviously a world behind... won't be able to resist.

#34 Kilrah, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  15. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

WAIT !!! Sold out?!?!?!?

I want one.

I may have waited too long.

16. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

It already was 2 days ago - that's in the Robo store at the link provided in the email though, I haven't checked directly at the manufacturer's... as said my wallet doesn't really need to know :p

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Is there something special about buying the Palette+ from Robo? Is it "prepared" to work with the Robo R2? Or can I get one from another vendor and have it be the same?

Silly question, I would guess its the same everywhere, but the video is customized for Robo and I just want to be sure I'm not missing something if I purchase the Palette+ elsewhere.

Attached Files:

18. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Nothing special it seems. I downloaded their Chroma app, when you launch it it asks you to select the printer and the R2 is in there, shows the R2 setup guide etc.

19. nytcrawlr

nytcrawlr New Member

Matterhackers has it in stock, they also just had their Blue Friday sale, 10% off anything in stock, though I think that's expired unfortunately.

John Wohlfeil likes this.
  20. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

I got one! I jumped on the Matterhackers Blue Friday sale, just a few minutes before midnight - so I go the discount.

nytcrawlr likes this.