1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo Frozen at start... should I reinstall software?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stera8, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Stera8

Stera8 Member

Earlier this week I turned on the printer and it wouldn't go passed the Robo screen. I went through the support and unplugged and plugged the LCD back in. It fixed it.

I just turned it on and it got hung up again (2 days later). I turned it off and on and it booted up okay.

It seems like software error...

1. should I reinstall the software?

2. Does anybody have the software? I thought I saw it floating around on the forum somewhere to GitHub.

3. Would the install be just like any other install to a pi? I format the microSD and then I ApplePi Baker it to the card?

Thanks all!

Happy Thanksgiving!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What you need to do is as mentioned before in other threads :) Clone your SD card. Then if at some point you suspect it is problematic, you burn a new one. You can't easily "reinstall the software" on the Raspberry Pi and reinstalling whatever software you are thinking of on a PC will not help. The software for each machine is slightly customized (the machine name is the big deal apparently) so if you do find someone else's image to burn you would need to change the machine name once you got the Pi booting (this is discussed in at least one other thread).

You will have to let the Robo update itself if you reburn back to an older image, but that is just a process.

3. Stera8

Stera8 Member

do you mean the many threads that I just ignored and said... no not me :)

Thanks Mark Have a great Thanksgiving!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Likewise!

Yea, you really do want to clone your SD card ... that way all you need to do is to reburn it.
    There is a process to call Robo and have them resend you an image with the same name, etc. but easier and far, far faster to just reburn your own (older copy) and let it reapply updates.

The thing is that even in a perfect world, you are occasionally going to have SD card read/write failures so at some point your image is going to get corrupted. I would advise using a class 10 card as well.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As an example, I cloned mine when I first got it and recently ... it has been occasionally having a hiccup when starting.
    Reburn the original image to the SD card and then boot and let it spend the next day updating :)
    That sorted it.

6. Mario

Mario New Member

There is a possibility that the LCD plugin is just corrupted.

7. Mario

Mario New Member

Apparently I have to post a couple before I can post any links. I believe that I may have the fix for this. Bare with me.

8. Mario

Mario New Member

9. Mario

Mario New Member

I still can't post it, I just barely reached 3 messages required to post links but it still won't let me. I will try again in the morning.

10. Mario

Mario New Member

I just now noticed that this is listed under C2 which tells me you might just have a bad ribbon cable. I thought that it was an R2 which I have a plugin for. I just can't post links yet.

11. Mario

Mario New Member

Here's is the plugin for the R2.
    How to update your R2's LCD screen while getting a mainboard not detected error
    1. Access your printer's web dashboard through a browser. You should see a dashboard like the one in picture 1. [​IMG]
    2. Open settings (see picture 1_a below)[​IMG]
    3. Select Plugin Manager within Settings (see picture 2)[​IMG]
    4. Click Get More (see picture 3)[​IMG]
    5. Enter this url within the "...from URL box" and hit install: https://github.com/victorevector/RoboLCD/archive/1.10.1.zip (see picture 4)[​IMG]
    6. Let it install. The webdashboard and LCD screen will restart when finished.

Edwin Quinones likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Mario you cannot post pictures directly from GMail, Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive as the links they provide are internal to each respective application and are not actual links to the images.