1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo R1+ Keeps Shutting itself down

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hanover, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanover

Hanover Member

For some reason I keep getting temperature fails on my R1+. The printer goes off, and then slowly it comes back on. It went from dependable printer to this overnight. I did a PID adjustment in the config.h and it still failed. I was using Octoprint and I can see from the graph, there was no temperature drop from either the bed or the hot-end.

I have no idea what to check next. I do have this running in the shop in my basement, and this is the first year I have my print farm and it is colder down here. Could it be the cooler room temperature? None of my other printers are doing this.

#1 Hanover, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Dead power supply?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The graphs will generally not help with that error because the firmware sees the temperature and reacts before it ever gets to the PC and graphed. My biggest issue with the entire way those safeties were done in the firmware is that it is not implemented well.. a sudden, short spike (which you might get from a loose wire) will nuke it. It would be better to use a time weighted average and wait for at least a few seconds worth of change... but, I digress.

In any event if it is a TEMPERATURE FELL TOO MUCH DURING PRINT error then it is something wrong with the hotend thermsitor or the wiring to it (or in rare cases the RAMPS board). Sanity check all of the connections. Wiggle the wiring.

4. Hanover

Hanover Member

The logs definitely have that error.

I installed the new version of Marlin so I can adjust the thermal runaway settings. Due to the holiday, I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Hopefully I can test it tomorrow. Nothing's loose...but it IS happening during the first layer which is the bottom of a box. If the fan is coming on in my cool room, that could be causing it. Might need to invest in an enclosure for my R1.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Too much cooling hitting the extruder can make this happen. Parts cooling fans need to aim air on the printed part, not the extruder nozzle. Worst case, boost yourself to a 40w ceramic heater core. A little fan won't matter then. All I use any more.

Hanover likes this.
  6. Mario

Mario New Member

Make sure that your bottom cover fan is on. It keep the Ramps board cool. When it over heats the ramps board shuts off momentarily and if your tethered, the program your running won't generally know that the printer shut off and the temp cools and then the error comes on. Any ways that's the best case scenario.

7. Hanover

Hanover Member

Im pretty sure it's the thermistor. The wires came loose. I have spare cartridge thermistors, but I dont have the right JST connectors for it. So I'll contact Robo for a new thermistor since it's still under six months since I got it.

8. Hanover

Hanover Member

I decided to snip the wires from the old thermistor and solder them onto one of my spare themistors and it seems to have fixed it. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Hanover

Hanover Member

Well...I spoke too soon. It stopped again, even with the new thermistor. Still getting the stupid error about the temperature falling too much. I can get the log and I can see where it fell three degrees, but it was still within range of PLA.

I thought I had turned this "feature" off in the firmware by commenting it out, but it is still doing this.

#9 Hanover, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can't help you remove that "feature" -- Other than rolling back to an older version of Marlin...

however if it is still happening then you still have something discombobulated with the thermistor/wiring. Since you swapped the thermistor it would look more closely at the connections between it and the RAMPS.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Actually -- in Configuration.H this temperature checking is controlled by:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_DISCONNECT_CHECK 2

Simply comment out that entire line and then reload/compile the firmware and I think that "feature" is gone.

(temperature.cpp only looks for that precompiler definition to exist ... it does not actually use the value, at least not in the stock versions of Marlin 1.0 that the Robo uses ... I did not look forward into 1.10 -- feel free to check if you want)

12. Hanover

Hanover Member

Yep, that's what I commented out. Unless something reverted before I compiled it. I'll try it again for the sake of sanity. I'll change the error message as a double-check.

...actually, I removed the entire block of code that was used to trigger the "hot end fell out" exception. If it still gets triggered, then I guess I can take this to the history channel. "Aliens!" :)

#12 Hanover, Nov 25, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. Hanover

Hanover Member

Well, it still shut itself down. Just no error message this time. No log. It ALWAYS happens at the same point in the print though. So Every single time...the exact same place. Its in the middle of putting down the second layer and it shuts down. I was trying to print a small drawer for a work-bench organizer.

Is there a hardware fail-safe?

I've been taking pictures of the graph and I've noticed a consistency where it goes from 210 to 202 back to 210 again. At the exact same spot. I've uploaded a screen grab.

I opened up the printer and nothing was loose...

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but could it be the slicer? I used S3D. Could the slicer be doing something funky with the temperature? I guess the next test is to try slicing it with Cura and see if I get a different result. Although I just looked for stray M104's in the script and didnt find anything.

Attached Files:

#13 Hanover, Nov 25, 2017
  14. Hanover

Hanover Member

I think this is my issue:

He even mentioned that the Arduino was crashing whenever making large prints that cover a lot of area.

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The tiny 40 mm fan Robo uses frequently will unplug itself from printer vibration. I made a bigger hole in the bottom and put a larger fan in there, If you want to mount the fan in essentally the same spot, you cannot go thicker than 15 mm or it won't fit.

This is the fan I used in mine http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=499&area=en
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson and Hanover like this.
  16. Hanover

Hanover Member

I guess I needed to stress that the whole printer shuts off. It's just doesn't stop printing. I think the Temperature Fall error is because of the power being cut.

After awhile it slowly comes back on. I'll recheck the fan. I think I have an extra fan I can use.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, the Arduino is the brains and if it overheats everything is going to stop.
    I have 80mm fans that exhaust out the front of the case and are mounted directly between the electronics and the case.
    They pull a a lot of air across the boards and out.
    At a minimum larger fans will help a lot.

It is remotely possible your power supply has a rail that is failing or it is overheating. It can't all be failing or you would loose comms to the Arduino as well.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Also, printing those extender feet for the R1 (all over Thingiverse) will lift the whole printer off the table/desk and allow for more airflow. It will help a little, but not as much as adding extra fans or enlarging the existing fan will.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hanover if the lights and all on the r1/+ shuts down its that little fan. All my r1/+ still use the 40mm fan but when they get weak yikes problems.

20. Hanover

Hanover Member

Yes, the whole things turns off except for my RepRap display. If I just leave it, it slowly comes back on again. I have some stuff I need to get done, but then I'll crack it open again and do some major investigating. I have a few spare fans, I think. If not, then it's off to Fry's. Thanks for all your help.

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.