1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved What to lubricate for Z-axis squealing noise?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rod Smith, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

I've had my R1+ for two weeks now, and it's developed an annoying squealing noise when the head moves vertically (z-axis). To be sure, it still works, but the noise is annoying, so I'd like to get rid of it. I'm guessing it's a matter of lubricating something, but I don't know what -- or with what. (The printer came with a small squeeze tube of lubricant and no explanation of what to use it on. Should I use that?)

Thanks for any pointers!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A light smearing of white lithium grease ( available at any Auto Parts Store or online in small squeeze tubes to giant tubs. Smear the grease on all rails. You just want a light coating, not globs of it all over the rails. Reapply when the squeaking returns.

Personally I prefer grease to any type of oil as it stays put and doesn't spray all over when the parts move over one another.

3. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try this weekend.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Remember, you want to put as little grease as you can, just enough to stop the squeak, not anymore. Reapply if and when the squeak returns. That will keep the rails running smoothly and cleaner.

5. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

I've lubricated the rails with the grease that came with the printer, and that seems to have done it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.