1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone have experience with Palette+ ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John Wohlfeil, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Welp, I'm weak. Received a mail from Mosaic "we noticed you had something in your cart you didn't check out (had put it in to check shipping fee), what about a $40 shipping discount?" Sooo... had no choice :p

Looked in the app (created profile with random cal values to be able to browse the menus), ran a few files into the process and it seems pretty well made enough and not too locked if advanced settings are enabled i.e. you're not limited to doing only what they decide you can in terms of material combinations.

#41 Kilrah, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    WheresWaldo likes this.
  2. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Ok ... it’s in your cart - but did you buy it?

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

4. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Awesome. Mine is on order from Matterhackers and they are local to me in Southern California. So if they ship it Monday, I’ll have mine on Tuesday.

I’m looking forward to following along with Kilrah progress, successes and challenges.

5. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I've been looking hard at one of these myself. FYI, Amazon has them and has 20 in stock as of right now. It says they have more on the way. Would be nice to get it discounted a bit for black Friday. If they do, I may pull the trigger and pick one up myself. Looks like those of you that have way more knowledge on this than I do, have changed your opinion drastically concerning this unit. I do agree it seems a bit pricey, but I'm very intrigued.

John Wohlfeil likes this.
  6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Cool. I expect end of the week for me hopefully... international is way less fun. Mosaic shipping ended up at $35 with their $40 discount, matterhackers/amazon wanted $120-150.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would be interested in seeing the palette+ working with HIPS as one of the filaments or perhaps a combination of PLA / TPU for hinged parts, etc. There are single examples of each but nothing more than that.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm hoping to be able to get one one of these days. Not soon as I'm out of play funds and darn near room at both shops lol. I use my sigma for live hinge, PVA supports, etc. Hips is ok as a support but meh, nasty chemicals and the such ;) water is nicer if possible :D

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Argh, Mosaic actually have 3-4 weeks lead time, wasn't at all obvious, mentioned on the site at the last place you'd think of checking... :(

Oh well, guess it will leave me an opportunity to change my mind on @John Wohlfeil's feedback if applicable or if someone makes a deal at the end of the week...

10. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Mine has shipped and I should have it tomorrow. I MAY NOT get it set up before Thanksgiving ... but as soon as I can, I will give feedback on my first experience and post pics of my first print(s).

mark tomlinson and Kilrah like this.
  11. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

I have to say ... I am an artist. I went to art school, I work as a photographer, I use tools like these for making and creating art (basically.) I am NOT an engineer, I'm not good with a soldering gun, and I wouldn't think of buying a 3D printer kit and building it myself (R/C car assembly is my limit.)

The reason I gravitated towards the Robo R2, and eventually purchased one, is for its "out of the box, ease of use." And, my Robo R2 has been perfect to use and print single color models.

I did manage to get my Palette+ out of the box before Thanksgiving, and I have been losing sleep and I'm a little bit out of my comfort zone.

I plan to share more of my experience very soon.

Geof and Kilrah like this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That may be more complex than most printer kits :D

13. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Mini-Update ... things are not going well with the Robo R2 and Mosaic Palette+

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Whats going on?

15. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

I was hoping to give a full account of my experience with the Robo R2 and the Mosaic Palette+ , but since I's currently stuck in the mud and nothing is happening, here is what my Thanksgiving weekend was like.

I unpacked the Mosaic Palette+ and walked through their set up, fused sample filament, printed their 2-color sample file, and everyone was looking good.

Then I had to set up CURA 3.0.4 to work with multiple extruders, and the instructional video available from Mosaic online was using a different version of Cura 15, then the one I have. I was in contact with Mosaic support staff and they walked me through the Cura set up. I ran into problems with slicing errors and file issues, and again Mosaic staff was very helpful getting my Cura set up correctly.

I downloaded a multi color Low Poly Link STL from Thingiverse print as a test, which takes forever to print, and I found myself making it small, and trying to print low quality just to get something done within 10 hours. BUT, I have had challenges in the past printing on low quality, and trying to print smaller items using the default .4 nozzle.

I let the Link model print overnight, and half way thought the print, the link model tipped over (I saw later in the time-lapse), and filament stinged out with no model in place and I woke up to spaghetti mess.

Jumping ahead - I realized the link model tipped over because the heated bed temperature was changing, basically going to zero and the bed stayed at about 27.

Back and forth with my setup in Cura and I make sure the temps for nozzle and bed are set throughout the process - and they are.

Now, Mosaic support helped by sending me a smaller, easier to print, 4-sample, which is a Mosaic logo keychain.

I try to print he keychain using Cura, and now I'm seeing the nozzle temp setting drop to 175 and the PLA started to gum up, not stick to the print bed, etc. I was having temperature inconsistencies that are causing a bunch of other problems with the PLA and adhesion to the print bed.

As you know, all of the set up and printing takes so much time, I'm spending days going back and forth and having no success.

Now it feels like the R2 isn't working. So I go back to Cura and use my 1-Color printer and test an old file, and it prints 1-color just fine.

Back to Cura 4-Color and another botched test.

At this point, now Saturday I think, I decided to buy Simplify 3D, because Mosaic also has set up and information using S3D. $150, and I load the keychain sample, slice it, load the sliced gcode into Chroma (mosaic software to make files for the Palette+), and I do a test print.

Hallelujah - the 4-colro keychain from Simplify 3D ... PRINTS !!!!!!!

Super excited, now I go back to my Low Poly Link model, and I slice it with Simplify 3D, and start my test print - then left the house to go work.

Half way through, my wife notices the printer is moving around as normal, but no PLA is coming out, so the print stopped about half way and the nozzle was moving, about 3 inches above the half printed model. She cancelled the print.

When I got home I realize the nozzle is jammed/clogged. And at the same time, the fused filament coming out of the Palette+ was "falling apart" easily at the weld points. When before, the welds seemed more solid than the PLA itself.

What I THINK happened, the PLA was pushing through, the Palette+ experienced a problem with the heat arm moving over to the weld the colors together and a "not so strong" weld broke while pushing through the hot end and jammed inside. The hot end continued to heat the filament, which caused the PLA stuck there in a stand still to melt above the hot end, in the heat sink, and stick.

NOW, as I remove the hot end assembly to assess the jam/clog, and hopefully pull out the plan with pliers, the heating element becomes unplugged. The two red wires with white clip falls out, and now its challenging for me to plug it back in. It's tiny, the wires are soft, and its up in a tricky spot to reach.

I get the plug back in, and now the heater element will not heat.

I get an error when trying to preheat:

Error Detected
    Connection Interrupted

Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0

The software then directly me to do a reset, which I do, and it still does not heat up and I continually get the same error. I have restarted the Robo, reset, restarted and still get the NO HEAT problem.

So, 7 days, 1 4-color keychain, 15 failed prints with various problems and challenges, and now the Robo is out of commission and will not heat up and the hot end is jammed/clogged.

Last thing I did, the keychain, worked great using Simplify 3D and the Palette+ , but now my R2 is broken and I'm stuck in the mud, ready to send it all to the junk pile.

Attached Files:

#55 John Wohlfeil, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

is sending to the Junk pile code for sending to me? :D

Contact support about the heating issue and they will get you warranty parts. Multi color printing is a huge learning curve and yes takes forever to print anything. Its the purge tower. tons of non printing moves. The software set up is even more of a learning curve. I wont be buying a pallete anytime(to many recent machine purchases) soon so I wont be able to help on that front, but I will certainly try. The hardware issues with the R2 needs resolved through warranty for sure.

Kilrah likes this.
  17. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Its not that I NEED a low poly Link model that badly, but I have to test print SOMETHING.

I have sent an email to Robo support - and I'm hoping that just plugging in a new hot end assembly will get me back to printing. I am shocked that those plugs and parts may be so delicate that unplugging it once, will ruin the parts. Hopefully the female end of the plugs are still in working order.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It should plug firmly. Unplugging once shouldnt kill it for sure.

Id suggest once the r2 is running do a 2 color. Then 3 color, then try 4. May be jumping in to fast ?

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bingo. You had to hit the heater failure at the same time because ... .life.

I think you are better served with a phone call, but see what happens.

Geof likes this.
  20. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The wires that go to the plug are quite fragile and CAN break if you disconnect the plug by pulling on the wires, which seems is what (inadvertently) happened.