1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hotend Clogged and other challenges

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Wohlfeil, Nov 26, 2017.

1. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

I have a clogged hot end. Filament is stuck down in there. When I remove the hot end assembly by loosening the single hex screw in front, the assembly drops out. While looking at it, the white plug and two red wires for the heating element came unplugged.

Now when I can get it plugged back in, it seems to drop out too easily. Now while trying to put the hotted assembly back in place, the white plug comes out.

Any ideas on how to connect securely?

The clog in my hot end is flush with the top of the unit and I can't grab it to pull it out.

I wanted to heat it up, and use a new piece to hopefully push it through, while holding the assembly with pliers.

Now the plug coming out thing is driving me crazy - er!

Attached Files:

2. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Ive got it put back together and the heat wires plugged in, and the hot end assembly put back in place - still clogged.

Now it won't heat up, and after a few minutes I get the message:

Error Detected
    Connection Interrupted

Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Make sure you plugged the heater in the correct plug and not in the one for the 2nd extruder. And that the plug wasn't damaged.

Geof likes this.
  4. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Yeah, I have it in the correct plug, the end that I can see doesn't look damaged, but its tiny. I hope the female end isn't damaged inside. That doesn't look to be easily replaced.

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The printer side certainly won't break, that's solid. The thermistor wires however are very fragile.

Did you check if the temp reading is working and/or if the nozzle is heating to know which of the 2 has failed?

6. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

The temp gauge appears to be working. The reading goes up a bit as I handle the hot end assembly. Then goes back down a bit as I let go.

The heating element doesn’t heat up - I tested that by touch as well.

Kilrah likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That could be the heater core*... Generically they are really cheap, getting one from Robo that has the connector to the hotend wiring harness would be a bit more.

*it could also be wiring or the control board, just throwing ideas out there.