1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Interested in 3D Printed Flyable RC Airplanes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Nov 16, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

https://3dlabprint.com/

All planes are 3D printable and reinforced internally. They supply STL files, Simplify3D, Cura and MatterControl settings files. PDF for scale markings if you choose to paint your models.

Full airplanes range in price from $20 to $60

OutsourcedGuru and nytcrawlr like this.
  2. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Too bad my printer's not big enough for this...

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I printed one of their demo part sets on my R2 and it came out really nicely.

Already have too many planes I don't have enough time to fly though :\

Now a custom "built in" color scheme design using the palette, that could be cool...

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

to go 3d hubs and have someone print it for you with a large printer

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or build one:

How Hard.gif

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

slighty more difficult than your delta ;)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Curse you Red Barron!
    Down in flames I go :)

Kilrah likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:D lol I can tell you tuning the gmax after shipping damages....sucked lol. Building one that size is also a pain...not putting togather...getting a working machine with less hours involved then it costs to buy one ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You know, that was part of the secret 3D printing agreement .... the list of "things that shall never be mentioned"
    Gonna have to report you...

Kilrah and Geof like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can keep the decoder ring right ?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

22-3-21
    7-6-26!

Geof likes this.
  12. OutsourcedGuru

Yeah... I'll probably end up building a great big brother to the C2 with a decidedly bigger volume rather than buying an R2.

13. OutsourcedGuru

I would die a little inside if I did that.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

even with all the machines I've got I still sub work out. Nothing to be ashamed of, sometimes its not a good fit or literally a fit for your machine :D

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nothing wrong with that, comes a point in everyones 3d printing experience where they really need to build a printer... just to get to that "next level"* :) So go for it...

*stepping up the pain as it were...

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

word of advice- pick your firmware prior to building :D Made that mistake my first go around...eeekkkk lol.

17. RSC

RSC New Member

[​IMG]

I've only just gotten my R2 but have been 3D printing since I bought a Replicator Dual, new, however long ago it was when the printer was new to the market. I've been running with a Form1+ and now a Form2 for the last few years. My Replicator sat idle. But while the SLA printers make beautiful parts, even the best "engineering" resins produce parts that are still too fragile. They chip and shatter.

I decided up upgrade my FDM capabilities and bought the R2 with the expectations being I can run more advanced filament materials and have better quality than my old MakerBot could deliver. I've only done a couple of R2 prints so far but they're (not surprisingly) quite a bit better than what the Replicator could do.

I also use my printers to make stuff that flies. Here's an example of a "micro quad" I printed on the Form2, that I haven't broken yet... That's a video camera on top. You fly it "FPV" wearing video goggles connected to a receiver.

I'm in the process of designing something similar for the Robo to print.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#17 RSC, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The resin issue being too brittle is something I have seen myself. Resin printing isn't the real answer for production or replacement parts. I still think that SLA is probably a better technology for this application. I am also interested in seeing how HP's Jet Fusion printer differs from the more commonly available SLA printers. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/pdf/printers/3d-printers/4AA6-4892ENA-P.pdf

As far as FormLabs is concerned the Fuse1 seems much more interesting than any of the Form printers.

19. RSC

RSC New Member

Yeah. I saw the Fuse earlier this summer. It uses a *pissload* of electricity and it generates a significant amount of waste heat. They keep the build chamber just below the melting point of the media so the laser doesn't have to work as hard. It's like having a kitchen oven running at 450ºF all the time. And the SLS parts come out "fuzzy". From a functionality standpoint they're great, pretty much completely isotropic and as strong as any other method of fabrication using the same material. But from an aesthetics perspective they leave something to be desired without doing some serious post processing. For me at least, the quality of the print is as important as its mechanical properties. Meanwhile, the SLA resins have been getting better. There's a growing base of 3rd parties with interesting products compatible with my FormLabs machines. So I'm cautiously optimistic that there'll be some true "engineering grade" options available to me soon.

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

SLS prints from Stratasys and other printers can be tumbled with ceramic beads to improve surface quality. According to reports I have seen the HP Jet Fusion comes out of the printer with quality comparable to polished parts from everyone else. If you look at where additive manufacturing is moving, companies may prototype in resin, but produce parts with SLS. That is where the industry is focused or at least the biggest players. Resin printing will always be a niche.