1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adding IR Sensor for Z Probe on R1+

Discussion in 'Projects' started by kello, Dec 2, 2017.

1. kello

kello New Member

I want to run marlin 1.1.6 and use UBL leveling, to help accomplish this I'd like to upgrade my Z end stops to an IR sensor(I tried to include a link to the IR sensor here, but apparently the forums don't trust me yet. I bought it on Filastruder, it is called the Mini Differential IR Sensor). I have my mount printed and took the bottom off to plug it in.. there are only 2 pins for the Z endstop (all endstop) sensor.

I have 5v and ground, but I need a signal or "output" pin. Do I have to replace the RAMPS 1.4 board to a proper one with the correct number of pins? Will this change effect other areas of the Robo 3d R1+ ? Why would Robo remove these pins in the first place? What was the purpose of modifying the ramps board?

Any advice on how to get this sensor working would be appreciated. Is replacing the ramps board the only way to accomplish this?

edit: for typo

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you find out, let us know :) There is a project thread that shows you how to convert back to a standard RAMPS 1.4 board if you want to.

3. kello

kello New Member

:/ so I have to convert to use this sensor. I've talked with others that are using an IR sensor with the R1 but it turns out they're on R1 original and not R1+

I don't know if it's worth the hassle. I want to use UBL because there are un-uniformities with my bed and it causes issues with the first layer.. I tend to print smaller items so it does make a difference..

bah.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the conversion to the custom ramps board was a part of the R1+ unit and it didn't make a lot of sense to us.
    I am sure they had a logical reason :) You can swap to a standard one with a little rewiring.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Since I never had a PLUS are the pins not populated on the board or are there no holes to put the pins in the first place?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think the pins are just missing, but @Geof could tell us.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The only thing I have left of those custom boards are the pictures in the retire thread. Holes are there IIRC but can't speak to the traces in the pcb

Not abnormal for traces to be left out but the holes there